Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Madge's Three Pronged Approach to Success

Illustration Copyright Enoch Bolles

I’m working on a few more samples for my new book query. I have so many ideas in my head it’s often hard to focus on just one. I’m trying due to a financial shift to come up with the most lucrative ideas, which is of course a bit of fortune telling. I’d like to write some humor/self help/creativity titles and I have what I think are some really great concepts, but that’s a whole new genre. That means I have to forge some new pathways and make some new connections. So I’m trying to figure out how to reach the editors who publish these sorts of books. I will; I’m determined. Every time you change genres, it’s a whole new ball game. I work in a niche market and breaking out of any niche takes some effort.

It's not all champagne and roses around here my fine friends!

People email me constantly asking how to get a book published, how to be a professional designer, how to get their work in magazines or (and this one kinda makes me scratch my head) if I can introduce them to my editor or stop to give them free counseling on their work and their career. Many of my colleagues tell me that they get the same requests, often followed by rather curt replies if they don’t stop everything to answer in a way that pleases the person contacting them. The truth of the matter is, there is no one way to do it and I can’t recommend total strangers to my editor. If you want to get published badly enough, I believe you will figure it out. I’m happy to send you to my blogs where I’ve written many, many posts about how to get published and to sincerely say, “Yay, you!”

Then, my little kumquat, it’s entirely up to you.

It takes tenacity. It takes clarity and vision. It takes being in the right place at the right time with the right idea.


Writing a craft book is just another form of shameless self promotion. It won’t pay your bills and it won’t make it easier to quit your day job. It’s another means to the end of building a brand upon which you might capitalize through teaching, licensing products, selling your products, working for manufacturers...

There are no easy answers or short cuts to success. You need to hone your skills enough that you stand out from the crowd (just because your cousins all like that necklace you made doesn’t mean you’re ready for prime time.) You need to build a name by submitting designs to magazines for publication, creating a popular blog, working for manufacturers or selling popular designs online, building a compelling website, impressive portfolio and eye catching promotional materials, figuring out ongoing dynamic ways to market your brand and your work...in short you have to work hard and work the angles. All of them! You have to work hard every single day, especially on the days when you’re just not that into it.

Remember Madge’s three pronged formula for success doing what you love:

1. Do something that you truly love. You must be incredibly passionate about it. If you don’t truly love it, the bulk of the time you spend in the trenches doing the hard work will be abysmal.

2. Do something for which you have a true proclivity. If you aren’t exceptional doing this thing that you love, it may not be the key to your financial success. It may be something that brings you joy, and that’s a pretty damn good return on an investment, but it may not be what you should be doing for a living. Be honest with yourself and ask others for honest assessments of your abilities. Think of all of the people on American Idol who love singing and REALLY can not sing. They should still sing because it brings them joy, but they should also realize that it's unlikely anyone is going to pay them to do it.

3. Dream the dream and be clear about what you want and flexible enough to realize that it might not come in the way you envision. Don’t get so caught up in the specifics that you miss out on unexpected pathways to success. Then do the hard work. It’s a lot of hard work. Working for yourself means it’s always with you. You can’t clock out. When you go on vacation, there's no one minding the store. You have taken control of your destiny. You have to accept that there will be set backs, tough times, false starts, huge advances and occasional retreats and you have to be willing to fight the good fight through all of it.


If you follow this three pronged approach, you will be on the pathway to doing what you love and having the money follow.

I think the hardest part of doing what I do is fully believing in myself, my talent and my worth even when the world is working in opposition to this belief. It's very easy to get discouraged and to feel like I'm spinning wheels. It’s very hard to ask for more or ask for what I feel I deserve, because people and women particularly, have issues asking for more. It’s okay to ask for more. What’s the worse thing that might happen? They’ll say no. They might even think you daft or try to make you feel badly for asking for more. If they do, screw ‘em. I am worth more. You are worth more. Never underestimate or undervalue yourself, and NEVER apologize for asking for more because as soon as you do that you’ll get less. Ask for more with absolute conviction and be willing to compromise. There is no more important skill in making success than diplomacy.

My interview with Alison Lee of
CraftCast is live! We had a really fabulous time together and I think we touched on some interesting points. Alison interviews fascinating people on her podcasts and has some totally innovative new interactive online classes. Check out her website!

Tune in on Thursday to CraftyPod when the indomitable Sister Diane and I discuss personal branding and why it matters. More information for you to help build your own mini-dynasty!

Until later...craft on with your bad selves...

xoxo
Margot

No comments:

Post a Comment