Tuesday, May 26, 2009

True Craft Confession


The winner of last week's contest is: Julie Otte. Congratulations! Your prize will be on its way to you soon!

Yesterday I fully intended to relax, but instead I took on a project that's been lingering on the side lines of my studio for a while. During the better part of the afternoon I destroyed a metal bobbin case, a needle and an entirely innocent spool of thread. Take that, sewing implements! After many juicy expletives, a flurry of stray threads and wayward straight pins and more than a few temper tantrums...I ended up with two not too shabby curtain panels. They actually turned out to be pretty cute, but when you factor in the time, the broken items and the cost of the gorgeous Alexander Henry fabric (and the original novelty fabric I purchased at Reprodepot that didn't work out when I measured the first set of panels wrong)...well I'd probably have been better off not DIYing this project. My sewing machine has some seriously finicky tension, even my pal Jenny Harada had problems getting it to work properly. So it's not just user error...at least not entirely! I was determined to get these curtains finished no matter how frustrating the effort became and thankfully I persevered. I measured twice and I cut once (okay actually twice because they were a little too long the first time!) I think they pull the kitchen together beautifully. Huzzah!

(It's dark and dreary here today so I wasn't able to get a great pic, but you get the idea! I may double up the panels and sew two more, haven't decided if I'm ready for that yet!)

Now I have to buckle up and get to work on my new book. I had to take on some freelance work last week that got me a little behind schedule, but until mid-August all of my attention is going to be on pumping this book out. Don't even think of asking me for anything else because I've got to put the nose to the old grindstone here.

Stay tuned for the first installment in my 'Flip Out Flip Flop Summer project series'. I've also got some book reviews to share soon. Until then...craft on with your bad selves!

xoxo
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment