Friday, May 22, 2009

Viral Marketing with Madge

Howdy Pardners!

This has been one of those weeks where the things I've put out there started to congeal suddenly and without warning! I'm all over the interwebs these days and it's been a huge boost for me professionally. The more you can get yourself out there in terms of internet PR, the better your chances of connecting with the right people. I know sometimes my family and friends scratch their heads at the time I spend on viral marketing. It's not like I get paid to make my videos or write this blog or Twitter or FaceBook market. The pay off is in the amount of searchable information that's out there about me.
Earlier this week I got an unexpected and exciting email from someone who was doing internet research and kept finding my work, my videos and my information popping up. They were duly impressed, which is a good thing! So now I'm up for a very cool opportunity because I put myself out there. If it actually happens, I'll let you in on the details.

It's not enough to just have a blog or a website, it's about how many ways you can connect yourself. I call this the "Googleability Factor." It's important. No one is going to discover you sitting at a lunch counter or blogging in the wind. The chances of them finding you increase exponentially if you put yourself out there as much as possible and if you create connections. It's crucial that you do so in a productive way, meaning everything you do should reflect your brand.


Who are you?

What do you want to build?

How do you want other people to perceive you and your work?


Ask yourself these questions over and over again.
Then ask yourself if what you're about to put out there reflects your answers. Don't put pictures of yourself surrounded by empty beer bottles, three sheets to the wind and mackin' on your best friend on the net. That isn't going to serve your brand...unless your brand is Drunkin' Idiot. Which could work for some folks I suppose. There's also such a thing as the 'over share.' Ask yourself before you blog, tweet or post on FB if what you're about to say is more than anyone really needs to know...unless the 'over share' is part of your brand. Shock value has its merits and can certainly get you noticed. I admittedly 'over share' on occasion-to a degree. If it's not going to help you sell brand you, it's not worth it. There's a whole generation of people who are going be surprised when it comes time to job hunt that those half naked Spring Break pics and the sexting they've been doing might become problematic.

I have to tweak my message on a regular basis. I'm here on the internet to build something. Everything I do has to serve that...and a big part of my brand and my message is transparency. I also hold back far more than I reveal, I'm selective.

Think deeply and often about your message and how to best get it out there. The internet is a powerful medium. Use it well and use it wisely my friends!

And now I have a couple of fun links to share!

Here's a guest blog post I wrote for Craft for Health that went live yesterday.

Here's a link to an interview I did with the delightful folks from The Vintage Indie Blog that posted yesterday.

I'm honored to have two designs in the upcoming book Steampunk Style by Jean Campbell. The roster of artists who've contributed is impressive and I can't wait to see it! Here's a link to the Amazon page with the 411.

I've also got a design slated for the intriguing new book Enchanted Adornments by Cynthia Thornton. Check out their Facebook Fan Page with lots of fun stuff to explore!

The folks from Create Your Style posted info about Bead and Wire Jewelry Exposed by yours truly, Fernando DaSilva and Katie Hacker on their site. Check it out here!

Until tomorrow...craft on with your bad selves...and remember you're not just making crafts...you're crafting your reality.

xoxo
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment