Monday, March 28, 2011

Of windstorms and egos.

Image from Dover Books Art Deco Motifs

Hello?

Is this thing on?

Yes, I'm still buried in the move. I wish we were moved already. I'm tired of living out of boxes, putting stuff back into boxes, digging around in boxes for that thing I need that I can not find... I like having roots. Even if I have moved over 32 times in 47 years, I don't like living out of a suitcase. Our new home is just lovely and I'd like to wiggle my nose and have it all unpacked and pretty and be there, settled. Alas and alack...there must be packing and unpacking and placing of furniture and accessories before that delicious moment arrives.

I simply don't have enough time to do that and my full time job and carve out time for Madge's Musings.

Blogging is silly, really. It's an act of pure narcissism to think that anyone else gives three farts in a windstorm what you think and what you're doing every day. You post and you post, free stuff, good ideas, musings and revelations...and then at some point you look at it all and wonder...what was the point, exactly?

Some people post a lot. They post a lot and they give away a lot of good ideas. Some people post sporadically in clusters of posts followed by weeks of silence. Some people post about their personal lives and some people don't reveal much at all. Some people get tons of comments and some none at all. It helps to get comments if you regularly give away a lot of free stuff. Free prizes, free ideas, pictures of your work which other people are mostly just downloading so they can copy it. I think a lot of the internet is about people wanting free stuff, which starts to frustrate folks who make a living from their ideas and their creativity.

We can't give it all away, after all.

When I first started blogging, I posted every single day for almost two years. I barely even promoted the blog, I didn't even know how to promote a blog. I think the reason I did it at first was because by doing it publicly, I became accountable. It wasn't a dog eared diary sitting on a shelf. People were waiting for me to post. There was a reason.

Though perhaps even that assessment was mostly ego driven.

Does anyone really wait for me to post?

Is my blog sitting here pouting in a corner if I neglect it? Are people sitting at the other side of their computer screens waiting breathlessly for whatever drivel manages to spill out of my brain at any given moment?

If I stopped blogging, tweeting and Facebook sharing, would anyone give three farts in a windstorm?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

Love
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment