Monday, June 29, 2009

R E S P E C T

Image Copyright Enoch Bolles


I have been waiting for months for six of my designs to be returned by a magazine publisher. One of them has been held hostage for over a year. I’ve emailed them, messaged them and sent smoke signals begging for my projects back...and I occasionally get a reply that yes...my six projects will be returned...after they find them...and then nada. What...did they send them on vacation? Are they wearing them?

I love these designs. Several of them are made with one-of-a-kind materials I simply can’t replace. I sold them the right to publish them, but I did not sell them the actual pieces. The understanding was they’d return them to me. They’re fully aware of that...but they keep stonewalling me.

Then today I returned home from the hair salon feeling like a Breck girl and in a lovely mood only to find a thinly padded envelope with THREE class samples tossed inside. Where did the bubble wrap packages I created for them go? Why couldn’t they have used a box? I’m amazed they weren’t shattered into a zillion tiny pieces. PLUS they actually GRADED them with RED PEN! What?! Are you friggin’ kidding me? I got a low ‘B.’

Uh, okay, what...ev...er.

I give them a big red ‘F’ for packaging followed by a very juicy raspberry.

Sheesh.

I don’t think it’s asking so much from my clients that they treat my work and me with the respect we deserve. They don’t have to like my pieces, but they should return them in a timely manner and packed with some semblance of care and respect. I’m seriously considering not working with either of these companies again. Sorry, Charlie. I’m not going to let people walk all over me.

The point of this rant is to remind everyone that we do not have to allow other people to treat us like crap just because they think they’re in a position of power or because they appear to wield so much importance we’re afraid of standing up to them. So maybe we won’t do business with them again, but who wants to work with people who don’t respect us? Everyone deserves professional courtesy. After 12 long years waiting tables...I made a deal with myself that I was NEVER going to do a job I hated again.

Find another sucker.

I know some folks are willing to work for the honor of associating their name with something big or are so happy to get a book deal or a magazine article they’ll pretty much do it for nothing and suck it up. I’m just not there anymore. I’ve built something and when you get me, you get my considerable talent, insight, hard work, dedication and my brand. It’s a mutually beneficial situation.

Aretha was so right on. Sing it, sista.


R-E-S-P-E-C-T

It's a damn good thing my hair looks this good or I'd be a mighty grumpy Gertie.

xoxo,
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment