Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Preparing for The 4th Of July

Welcome to Outdoor Wednesday! Thank you Susan for being a lovely Hostess, and allowing me to share my Outdoor "Country Wings" with you and all of the Outdoor Wednesday Bloggers. Please stop by and visit Susan at http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/


















I'm slowly getting the decorations up in preparation for Saturday, July 4th, our Independence Day celebration. All of the kids and grandkids are coming. We will have about 15+ people here. A nice number to have a wonderful celebration, swim, play a few yard games, have a BBQ and ofcourse try to watch a few of the fireworks when evening comes. I found a wonderful star this year at Ross. I put it on the front of the house. It says "America the Beautiful" to me.

















To the left of our entry gate I put a big red/white/blue bow below my chicken bell. When Tony built our big gate and fenced in our front into a courtyard, I did not want a door bell outside the gate. I absolutely hate those salesmen that come at Suppertime, so instead, I put up a chicken bell, and I figure if anyone is brave enough to grab the chain and give the bell a yank, then I will answer the gate. You would be surprised at the people who just walk away. The pizza guy just loves it and he always gives it a couple of yanks for good measure. The grandkids all yank to announce that they are here.















To the side of the gate we have two big window openings that I added swag American flags to. I thought they would dress that area up a little. I didn't know if I would like them when I bought them, but now that they are up and showing I really do like them. The neighbors commented on them. The mailman said I was very patriotic, and ofcourse the grandkids will love them, as they really like it when I decorate. I like for holidays to be magical for them, and I want them to grow up and remember things that I did, just like I do now for what my Mom and Grandma did for me. You'd be surprised at what little things mean to kids. Now mind you that cactus I planted when we moved into our house 15 years ago. It is now over 3 feet tall. It was about 1 foot tall when I planted it. He's my patriotic soldier standing watch over our house. I thought I might buy him one of those red/white/blue bowties and put it around his neck, and buy him an Uncle Sam top hat to wear. What do you all think? Please BLOG me and let me know. I love opinions.










My Frog had to find a new home for 4th Of July. The Patriotic Rooster came out to watch for the sunrise. He'll let us know when it is here. He looks cute with the flowers sitting on the porch. This chair sets to the right of my double doors, and I like to decorate things and set them in it. It is a solid oak chair, and was painted a hideous blue, so I stripped it enough to make it look ragged and then left it. I like the weathered, ragged look. See Debbie, I told you that I had a rooster like yours. (Or somewhat like yours.)









Inside the gate, I have this little wooden bench that I so love. It makes me think of Country. I need to find a couple of little pillows to add to it. I put a little patriotic punch to my rubber tree plant by adding a small American flag to wave in the breeze. Any bets on which one of the grandkids will pull it out first? The rubber tree plant I have had for about 6 years now. It started out as a 99 cent starter. It is about time to find a bigger pot I think.












And in closing tonight, I wanted to share my little Ash tree. For my birthday Daddy and Moma always send me birthday money. This year there was a little extra in the envelope. I asked Daddy what the deal was? He said it was my stimulus. I laughed and laughed and laughed. I decided to take the money they sent me and buy a tree for my front corner lot. It is an Ash tree, and I named him Fifty-Two, because I turned 52 on my birthday in April. I had carried the money around for some time, and three weeks ago it hit me what I wanted to do with the money. I really thought it would be so neat as everyday I could watch it grow, and everyday I would think of the wonderful gift the Daddy and Moma had given to me. Thank you so much Daddy and Moma. It is the BEST birthday present ever. I hope you have enjoyed my tour this evening. As always I am so happy you took the time to stop by, and enjoy my little piece of heaven here in the desert. Please stop by again soon. "Country Hugs", Sherry



No comments:

Post a Comment