Thursday, June 11, 2009

What I Did!

Whisper Down the Lane Copyright 2009 Margot Potter
(Click on image to view close-up)

So here's the story, Morning Glories. I have two months to produce my next book. I usually have a year. So this is a ride on the super speed train and I can't make too many stops. That means the bloggy here is mostly going to be about my new book and the steps it takes to make a book. That's useful info for you, gentle reader. I'm hoping you'll hop on board with me...until the end of August. I can't really show too much, but I can share my process. So think of it as more of a tell than a show. I'll give you sneaky peekies though, but only if you're nice.

Above is the final design I made using the ArtBeads Chagall pendant. This looks far better on a body than it does on a crackled old shutter. Trust me. It's too dark in here today to get a really super deluxe shot...but this gives you the idea. I pulled from the geometrics in the pendant into the chain and the folk artsy stripe into the ric-rac trim ties. I love me some ric-rac, yes indeedy do. You could use thin leather or rattail instead. I wanted the eye to be drawn to the pendant, so I only pulled black and cream accents out in the 3mm crystal and pearls. I added a little asymmetrical chain drop to give it some movement, but it's light and open enough that it doesn't compete with the focal bead. Simple, striking and serves the focal bead...me likee!

Here are some other ideas from my design savvy readers:

"I feel the same way about the one I got (it's a Mucha pendant) - it's going to stay on a very simple, short necklace because it deserves to be the center of attention.Right now it's on a black wire choker form, but I've been thinking that a thin satin ribbon would be a great choice." Dawno
"I immediately thought of bead embroidery when I saw this fabulous piece. I'd create a pin/pendant using a bead embroidery technique." Liz Revit

"I would make it the focal on a sterling silver bookmark, with some saphire and black bicone swarovski crystals." Marie Cramp

Check out the original post for more great ideas in the comments section! Oh and here's the piece that inspired this variation...because I'm always thinking in series and making design connections. Sometimes it's just a matter of changing your focal element and everything falls into place from there.

All aboard...the Madge Writes a Book at the Speed of Light Express is leaving the station!

xoxo,
Madge
www.margotpotter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment