Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Shameless Self Promotion AND a Bonus Mixed Media Jewelry Project Idea

Peonies and Pearls Mixed Media Necklace Copyright Margot Potter
Peonies and Pearls Detail

Your regularly scheduled blog post has been interrupted so that we may bring you these important messages:

Everyday Artist’s Studio has officially launched and I’m their first Craft Celebrity blogger! You can visit their site to read my guest post and while you’re there poke around a little! Big thanks to Jenn Mason for asking me to participate.

Just another little reminder...I’m so excited to be appearing on The Balancing Act on Lifetime TV for the fine folks from Beadalon tomorrow morning talking about their products, jewelry making and showing how to make a quick and easy double needle ladder stitch bracelet. You can read a little blurb about the segment on the Balancing Act home page. The show airs from 7-9am daily so tune in! The three airdates are: 7/2, 7/17 and 7/21

I’m working on a full day co-teaching event with the Queen of Utee and the Designing Diva Ms. Suze Weinberg at her New Jersey studios on October 18th. Details to come soon!

I'm teaching two fabulous classes on the When Creativity Knocks Celebrity Craft Cruise this November! It's a great line up of teachers and events with a cruise to the Mexican Riviera!

We're nailing down dates for my Beads and the City tour and it looks like May of 2010. As soon as we have the dates confirmed, I'll send you the 411! Don't forget about the Crafty Cabaret Cruise with Brini Maxwell in October of 2010!

And now...we return you to your scheduled free mixed media jewelry project idea:

Above is a fun mixed media jewelry project I made a while back using general craft supplies mixed with jewelry making components. It’s a three layer tim holtz™ Grungeboard flower I die cut with my Sizzix Big Shot, this flower is BIG (3 inches big!) I painted the layers with Ranger paint dabber in pink and then stamped using silver paint dabber and edged with Krylon Silver Leafing Pen. The layers were glued together with fabric glue; but any porous surface friendly glue should work. I used a hot fix crystal applicator wand to attach the CRYSTALLIZED™-Swarovski Elements. I punched a hole in the center of the flower with my Crop-o-dile and threaded a head pin through creating a loop on the back I could slide on the beaded pearl section. Beadalon Quick Links, a small section of 49 strand .018 wire with wire guardians and crimp covers, CRYSTALLIZED™-Swarovski Elements crystals and crystal pearls were combined to make an open and airy asymmetrical design. I could have made it all chain or created a repetitive pattern, but I was feeling a funkier vibe to go with the larger than life flower focal. The key to asymmetrical design is to create balance and adding the dangling CRYSTALLIZED open circles achieves that effect. This is one of those pieces that absolutely comes to life when you put it on.

I love mixing unexpected elements together. I’m not a materials snob. In my world there are no rules. Rules...schmules. Try not to take it all too seriously, “life is an absurdist tragic-comedy and you are the star!”

Until next time...craft on with your bad selves.

xoxo,
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment