Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Najib has Facebook, I wanna complain already....

NEW 1.50pm
-------------------------------------------------------
Alamak, PM Najib has Twitter oredi, plus Flickr, and plans to use YouTube.
Gua kalah.

-------------------------------------------------------

I too have a Facebook account.
But unlike the zillions of you idiots out there who waste time doodling away during working hours, I rarely visit my account even at home. This is simply because I don't see the point of it all.
I signed up because of work related purposes, ie in case I need to find out pronto about some murderer or politician as part of my duties in the office (chesss sabah).
This is like a clear signal to my readers out there not to waste time being my 'Friends'. I will reply to say Yes, but after that you will get nothing, dolt. You wanna talk to me, visit my blog or email me.

And now, the busy Prime Minister of Malaysia has joined Facebook.
No, I don't think he will doodle his time here. He got to fulfill promises made to voters.
The site will be taken care of by aides.
Just like Anwar Ibrahim et al, must be seen to be 'progressive', 'using the latest tools' etc to 'get close to voters'.
Old hat that.
PM already has a Blog.
(Nasib baik aku ada Twitter dan LinkedIn. Depa belum ada!)
I don't think I will join this Najib FB.

Eh, then again, maybe I will!
So that I could complain about something that has been bothering me since I read about it weeks ago.
Why is he allowing another huge convention centre to be built, when there are several quite empty ones already around.

- There is PWTC convention centre;
- Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre beside KLCC;
- The ghost-filled Putrajaya convention centre that Mahathir Mohamad built in the middle of nowhere;
- And there is that Matrade one (the building with the hole in the centre) that no one uses also. It became very famous due to structural problems. The exhibition centre is called MECC.
(We of course cannot include the convention centres such as those giant ones in Langkawi, Johor and Melaka, else the story will be too long).

The new RM628 million centre in near Sri Hartamas is supposed to be for heavy industries and machineries exhibitions to be held.
In other countries, people confirm that there are such clients who want to come in first before building these.
Like for the next five years at least, to ensure return on investment. Have they in government heard of this term RoI, Return on Investment, I wonder.
I have yet to read about such exhibitors queueing up to come to Malaysia for this, and learning that the other convention centres cannot be utilised.
Well, I am sure there is a plan and all will be revealed to us patient people soon (Let me snigger first).

Well, my friends, let me remind you that like when developers build condos: You ensure you have enough buyers before building them, so that the project won't end up like PKFZ or the Putrajaya convention centre.
I wonder if any government officer did an audit of the number of exhibitions, the kind of products they wanna show, the money they brought in, etc to see whether another convention centre is needed.
I note that the Naza group is the main builder of this giant project, after signing a privatisation deal. Good for them, as we do need Bumi companies who perform for the people.

Naza's subsidiary is also building that RM3.5 billion Platinum Park project (behind the Singapore embassy in KL), one of whose buildings has been bought by Felda, a 50-storey skyscraper.
Never mind that the roads beside the project are narrow ones - I know because I used to drive past there daily for five years on my way home.
I am sure there is a plan to really expand these roads, only these will reveal to us later eh (snigger again, a little louder this time).
How come I got this feeling that if I say that our town planners all sekolah kampung and bodoh nak mampos, I will get millions of votes from KLians? Who the hell approved these tall buildings amid tiny roads?

In Malaysia, we always create problems first, then explain later. If the public is still not satisfied, we will then work on the solutions.
If we're still not happy, then everyone will say: We will not vote for this government next time. Of course, by the time voting time comes, we would have forgotten!

But anyway, minus the massive jams that Platinum Park will create, I could agree with the construction of high-grade offices (what is called Grade A offices) - not low-end office blocks - in the city centre because there are not enough of them, ie the Petronas Towers type quality. Tan & Tan is building a Grade A office block right across the street beside the US embassy.

I am sure, in the end, everything will be resolved.
After all, PM Najib already promised:
Performance first, People now (terbalik sikit my tagline because I am confused by these mixed signals from the government. Don't waste resources, reduce the budget deficit, help the poor....)

No comments:

Post a Comment