Monday, December 27, 2010

A Christmas Tale

Our White Christmas

Ah, the holidaze. So much preparation, so much futile racing around and around to make it all so perfectly perfect. So many hours spent pouring over the pristine pages of Martha Stewart Living magazine feeling woefully inadequate. We bake, we decorate, we thoughtfully purchase, we wrap every item with care...and then it's over in a blink of an eye, isn't it?

We had a turkey malfunction on Christmas Day. Well, let me rephrase that, K. Roger had the wrong directions on their turkey breast package. I should have followed my instincts, I knew there was a problem and yet I thought to myself, self, how can this possibly be wrong? Why would K. Roger want me to have an epic fail holiday dinner? I mean, what would be in that for them?

So I marched bravely forth into the fray with my Christmas spirit in tact and a goofy grin on my face, only to watch a full pot of boiled potatoes turn to glue while the turkey stubbornly took an entire hour longer than promised by said aforementioned faulty package to cook. The stuffing was...unfortunate. The broccoli met an untimely death. Were it not for the defiantly moist and delicious turkey and the amazingly unburnt Pillsbury crescent rolls, all hope would have been lost.

Thanks a lot, K Roger. Way to go.

We did, however, have a White Christmas, and that was a treat indeed. In fact, if Santa is listening, I'd like a White Christmas annually followed by a dearth of snow until the following year. Forever and ever amen.

Christmas has come and gone and now New Year's lurks around the corner. We hosted a family party every year for the past several, but we're too far away now. I've always felt New Year's was a holiday that came with far too much pressure to have fun. I'm afraid this year we'll be snoring in front of the TV covered with potato chip crumbs before the clock strikes midnight...

Another year bites the dust. Here's to a clean slate and to trusting our instincts. If it feels wrong, it probably is. That goes for turkey packages and major life choices. Oh and for the record, being fortunate enough to have a warm home in which to have a turkey malfunction for the holidays is a gift I treasure.

Love
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment