Saturday, December 18, 2010

Thinking About Christmas As A Child...






Today I was thinking back

To when I was a child.

We would hang our stockings

on Christmas Eve. They hung on

the staircase. We would be so excited.








Our stockings looked like these.

Do you remember these?

You could see the treasures in them.

Ours hung in the order of birth,

So you always knew which was yours.

Mine was the third one down.








Santa always left a few of these

chocolate drops. Do you remember

them too? Loved these things.






There was always a handful of

this ribbon candy and the other

hard candies. I love the ones

with the cherries of course.

Oh and peppermint ones. Some

had filling in them. Those were

good too.








Nuts were also a special treat. We each

got a handful of these. I loved trying to

use Daddy's nutcracker to crack my

own. I wasn't very good, and I believe

I made a bigger mess of things, but he

let me try anyway.








And there was always, always a nice BIG

juicy orange. I loved sucking the juice

out of mine. I can still smell them today.

Did you ever get squirted in the eye?

Yep, that happened a time or two.




We also found a BIG red apple.

Oh don't forget the candy

cane, there was always a

candy cane. Now in the photo

below I notice we also got

a box of cracker jacks.

What a treat, loved those

prizes inside the box.




Candy wasn't something we 

got a lot of. At Christmas it was

a special time, and such a treat.



There weren't a lot of fruits either.

They must have been really expensive.

So finding that in your stocking was

such a treat.








Now when Santa came, you each got

(1) yes one, toy. We would spend hours

looking through the Sears Christmas catalog

finding just the perfect toy to ask Santa for.



This picture was taken in 1964. I was 7 years old.

The doll I asked for was Shrinking Violet. She took me

many places and shared many secrets. I still have her

today. She still talks, and she still has one of her

original ribbons in her yarn hair.






As I peer through the window of time

this evening I just wanted to share 

Christmas as a child for me. 

They were simpler times. Times of love.

Times of happiness. Times of family.

Times that my grandparents loved.



What do you see when you

peer through your window of time?








As always, thank you for stopping by,

my little piece of heaven,

here in the desert,

that I so love to call home.

Country hugs and much love,




post signature










No comments:

Post a Comment