Friday, July 3, 2009

Ask Madge!


I'm introducing a new feature to the blog called "Ask Madge." I'll be printing emails and responses from my website on occasion and if you've got a question, feel free to visit my website and send it on over. This is the first installment! Hope you enjoy!

I'm taking tomorrow off...so look for the Crafty Blogger links on Sunday!

Cheers,
Madge

Your Name: Maire
Subject: Jewelry storage?
Message:
Hi Margot! I'm a huge fan of all your books, and blog too! I just started making jewelry on my own now and have an unkempt pile in my room; it's adding up fast. I can't imagine how designers like you maintain all of it! So I was wondering, how do you store all the jewelry you make? Did you do a DIY project?
Thank-you! :)

Dear Maire,

Thanks so much for your kind compliments. I have to admit that organization isn’t really my strong suit, but I effort. Keeping up with my ever growing stash requires an ever expanding array of storage units. My beads sit in divided plastic trays angled on cheap wooden shelving from Ikea. That way I can see what I have when I’m working on a design. I have a huge wardrobe also from Ikea that holds ephemera, paper crafting supplies, inks, glues and adhesives, rubber stamps and miscellaneous goodies. My fabrics, vintage buttons, yarns and ribbons are all stored in plastic bins. Last year for my birthday my husband bought me some small vintage cabinets with sliding drawers and I immediately filled them with ink pads and vintage bits and baubles. I keep the tools I use the most often on my Jeweler’s bench and I keep small trinkets and charms in storage units designed for nuts and screws I buy at Lowe’s.

I’m sorely in need of a few more solutions because there’s a horrid mess of boxes and bins taking residence under my desk and they’re threatening to take over the studio!

My husband is thankfully blessed with the ability to organize and with his help I managed to mostly keep it all together. It’s an ongoing battle! Good luck!

Cheers,
Madge

Your Name: Beverly
Subject: Love Your Books
Message:
I have bought two or your books and absolutely love them and am extremely excited about starting my journey into Jewelry making. My question is what would you say are the have to have tools and supplies to have on hand before I start my new found love. I think it is amazing how you can get someone who is not very creative, like myself and get them to thinking about all kinds of things I can use to make beautiful jewelry. Looking forward to your new book.

Thank you,
Beverly

Dear Beverly

I'm so happy to hear that!

You'll need:
Round nose pliers
2 pairs chain nose pliers
Wire cutters
Crimp tool
Bead board
If you are going to use Memory Wire you'll need to buy Memory Wire Shears

I suggest you get some good quality stringing wire 19 strand in a .018 diameter to start and then you can play with other diameters. The higher the number, the thicker the strand.

Crimp tubes
Clasps
Ear wires
Head pins

This should be enough to get you started and if you really like it, you'll expand outward. I always have a list of tools you need in my books and if you look on my website I wrote an article about what you need to get started.

Good luck! You're going to have a lot of fun!

Cheers,
Margot

No comments:

Post a Comment