Friday, July 10, 2009

Creative Inspiration: Message in a Bottle

Sketch Copyright 2006 Margot Potter

I grabbed a sketchbook to take to a meeting I had the other day. I’m working on some exciting things I can’t discuss yet...but so far, so good. When I opened the book I found this drawing from about four years ago! I don’t usually sketch my ideas, I just dive in and make whatever’s rumbling around in my noggin’, but on occasion if I’ve got a back log of ideas I’ll quickly draw them out for later reference. This is a quick study I did in a class I taught. I led creativity and inspiration seminars at the Create Your Style with CRYSTALLIZED™-Swarovski Elements events at the Tucson Gem Show for two years. I think these are my favorite classes because it’s so exciting to see people get inspired. People leave with a head full of ideas to explore later and one of my students actually won the Create Your Style competition with a design from a drawing she made in my class! So at least one person was inspired!

One of the exercises in the class was to dream up and draw a design using colors, motifs and textures drawn from an image you’d selected intuitively from a big pile I provided. I honestly don’t remember what my image was...but I love this design! This was back when I was nagging the folks from Swarovski Austria to bring back the vintage color ‘mink’. I can’t take any credit, but I like to believe I had some influence in the color mocca! I could definitely use mocca instead of the mink combined with vintage rose and crystal silver or black diamond AB here. I think I’d add some gun metal and do an oxidized silver patina.

I hope to make this necklace one of these days...because it’s pretty fabulous on paper. There would be some architectural work getting the swags and filigrees to fall properly when worn, but I think it’s a solid idea.

You never know where inspiration might strike...sometimes it’s like a message in a bottle from the person you were in another space and time. Although I don’t sketch often enough, I’m thinking maybe I need to start.

xoxo
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment