Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Somewhere in Time

Somewhere in Time Mixed Media Necklace

This is a project for a taping I'm doing at CHA. I am sworn to secrecy as to how I created it until the episode airs. It's called Somewhere in Time after the film of the same name. This is one of my favorite Victorian images in my collection because she has a wonderful cat that ate the canary grin. Every time I look at this I think someone must have just said something terrifically naughty to her right before the picture was shot.

You so rarely see smiles in these old photos, I believe it's because the camera shutter was open for so long it was hard to hold a smile. Her wicked little grin makes this image especially compelling. I've featured her in a Steampunk mixed media piece that will be in Jean Campbell's new book and I can not wait to show you when the book comes out.

I wanted this to look like an image under buried glass...lost in the ethers of time, frozen in this wonderful moment, buried under the years that have since passed. I think I achieved that objective.

I love ephemera because it's a lens. Old photographs are especially compelling because there are stories there, wonderful stories that have yet to be told. That is endlessly fascinating to me.

I must away to pack up my book and finish my CHA show prep. Until next time....craft on with your bad selves.

xoxo
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment