Monday, July 20, 2009

Madge's CHA Show Jewelry!

Hootenanny Jewelry Set Copyright 2009 Margot Potter

Moulin Rouge Jewelry Set Copyright 2009 Margot Potter

Don't Eat the Daisies Copyright 2009 Margot Potter

(Click on images to view in close up!)


I'm leaving in a week for the CHA show in Orlando. Because I'm a designer, it's important that my accessories be flawless. Yesterday I worked on a few pieces to wear to the show. Because they're for me, I didn't have to tone them down. It's so much fun to work in a larger than life scale. I would love to design for the Haute Couture runways or for the theatre, because that's the way my brain works.

Heather DeSimone of
The Beadin' Path recently sent me a stash of vintage plastic beads and components and I've been brewing up some design ideas ever since. I have been wearing vintage plastic beads for years. I love them because they are lightweight, so you can pile them on and never feel weighed down. Plus there's so much whimsy and color to be found in vintage plastic.

The first design uses vintage plastic beads,
Beadalon polyester chain and resin beads from Plaid's fresh line. Those owls make me so happy I could cry. They're 3-d! They come in a wild array of colors too! I was imagining a vintage evening party with strung lanterns when I designed this. I'd like to get more colors and make another version of this necklace.

The second piece features a 2.5" Eiffel Tower pendant from
Blue Moon Beads Noir line. I've been daffy for black and white striped beads recently and I've always had a soft spot for anything French themed. I hand knotted Irish waxed linen cord for the vintage plastic beaded segment and added coated black chain I scored in NYC on the back. Knotted linen gives both structure and fluidity to your designs, and it's so easy to knot you don't need an awl.

The third design takes a cue from design maven
Jen Perkin's work, with layered vintage plastic flowers and Beadalon Quick Links chain. The earrings are ridiculously HUGE, but light as a feather. I'm mad for the color combination on this one. This is so Lovely Howell! Heather has a huge selection of these flowers and lucite filigrees and it's so fun to layer them up, you just thread with a head pin and loop the tip on the fine end of your round nose pliers.

I am going to make one last jewelry set and them whip up a new purse and then I'll be ready to rock and roll.

Rebekah Meier is giving away a signed copy of her book Fabric Art Collage
on her blog. I reviewed it here last week. If you're into mixed media...you have got to get this book!

Until next time...craft on with your bad selves.

xoxo
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment