Monday, June 28, 2010

Ah, Gigi!


Cecil Beaton's Scrapbook

As you may have ascertained by the cryptic posts here at Blog Madge...things have been up in the air around here. I'm not a fan of being up in the air, unless I'm on my way to an exotic destination.

This unsettling feeling of uncertainty has had my stomach in giant knots and my stress level at Code Red. Saturday afternoon I hit the wall. I was enjoying the lovely picturesque Amish country scenery when my Amish neighbors decided to light a pile of garbage on fire. When they burn garbage, they burn plastic, packaging...literally all of their trash. It's baffling to me and for an asthmatic, it means a hasty retreat indoors. "Dahling I love you, but give me Park Avenue." And so, gentle reader, that was it, I simply couldn't keep coming up with shiny, happy platitudes to cheer myself up. I sat my fancy arse in our comfy couch in the Zen TV room and I turned on the boob tube and had a good cry.

After a fascinating hour of Antiques Roadshow on PBS I turned to my lovely daughter and said, "We need to watch a wonderful old Hollywood musical." To which she responded, "Haven't I already seen them all?" GASP! HORROR! "Absolument non, mon petit chou!" With that an announcer appeared on the screen to inform us that up next was a commercial free airing of...

Gigi!

Leslie Caron in Gigi in an Oscar winning costume designed by Cecil Beaton

You have to love instant visualization.

Sketch of Costume for Gigi by Cecil Beaton

And you have to love Gigi. The costumes, the sets, the beautiful Leslie Caron and the charming Louis Jourdan and Maurice Chevalier. Just what I needed to escape...

The final scene arrived and there was the gorgeously gamine Gigi in the most deliciously draped white satin dress with dimensional blackbird accents and a tiara that consisted of a single crescent moon encrusted with crystal...and I literally cried I was so happy. That dress, that tiara, those gloves...oh my! It was as if someone, somewhere knew just what I needed to lift me out of my funk.

Thank you, Cecil Beaton.

Love
Madge

Cecil Beaton

No comments:

Post a Comment