Friday, January 15, 2010

Paging Ms. Miranda!



I finished a bracelet to coordinate with yesterday's set, so now it's complete. I purchased some striking display items so the designs will hopefully have maximum visual impact. I have always loved creating displays. When we had our gallery our windows were often filmed by the QVC folks for background shots. Display is an intriguing art form.

Did you guess who my inspiration was?

It was Carmen Miranda and my inspiration county is Brazil. Carmen wasn't born in Brazil, but her family moved there when she was a young girl. She always dreamed of a career as a performer, but her father didn't approve. She studied hat making and opened a successful boutique, but showbiz called and she thankfully answered. That is why she was adept at creating those phenomenal headdresses for which she was known. So not only was she an incredible performer, but she was also a gifted designer.  I adore her and her many looks. She was much more than a bunch of sparkly fruit artfully arrayed on a head wrap, which you can see in the delightful montage of clips from her movies above. I love her!

I tried to capture her essence and style while creating connections to the Afro-Brazilian culture she helped bring to the world and of course elements of the amazing Carnaval costumes in the color and movement of the pieces.  Of course, I'm viewing a culture through a lens and not as a person who has fully experienced it, so I hope I managed to capture something of the spirit of Brazil and the wonder that was Carmen Miranda.

xoxo,
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment