Friday, January 29, 2010

A Pink Saturday Quilt...

Good morning "Pinkies" and welcome to my Pink Saturday post.


As always, please thank the beautiful Ms Beverly at
How Sweet The Sound for organizing and hosting this fabulous event, each and every Saturday.


Please remember to go and check out her blog, and see the complete list of Pink Saturday "Pinkie" participants, and take the time to go and visit some of them. You will find the pinkest of "Pinkies" right here at Pink Saturday.



Grandma’s Quilt

Grandma (Minnie Choate) left this earth to early. I was only 18 when she passed away. She had 2 daughters – my Moma and Aunt Donna. Aunt Donna had two sons, no daughters. Moma had two daughters. When Grandma passed away each of the girls took a quilt that had been hand sewed by Grandma. A few years ago, Aunt Donna passed her quilt on to me. Moma will pass her quilt on to my sister, Debbie. These are pictures of my beautiful quilt. It will be passed on to my daughter, Heidi one day.


This quilt was made up of blocks that many people, relatives and friends embroidered for Grandma. She then quilted everything by hand, it is all hand sewn. I love this quilt, and each month I take it out of storage, lay it across my bed, and lovingly read all the thoughts of love that were stitched so lovingly for Grandma. The colors are so beautiful with this pink and green that she chose to bind it with. Most of the dates on the blocks that were sewn are 1936. This tells you the age of the quilt that belongs to me.



Look at the dainty work that Myrtle embroidered here?


Now look at Nellie's here? I think these little flowers were a popular pattern at this time. Nellie was from Kansas.



This one was from Iowa. Mae has made another beautiful one with flowers. Notice the year 1938.





And this one, look at the writing. Jennie was from Kansas also, but look at her age. 103 when she embroidered this in 1937. Remarkable.



Hazel did not use pink in hers, but it is so beautiful and the flower theme is still going on. Look at the date it was done. 1931. Can you believe it?



This last quilt block I want to share with you, was embroidered by my Moma. Yes, she too has a block on this quilt. I do not know what her age was, but she made this block for her Mother. It is quite beautiful, and she still embroiders today. She will be 74 on Monday, Feb. 1st.

As always, thank you for stopping by my little piece of heaven here in the desert, that I so love to call home. Country hugs and love,

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment