Thursday, January 14, 2010

What the Heck is CHA Anyway?!


Design Copyright 2010 Margot Potter All Rights Reserved

You may have seen some buzz about CHA on the interwebs and if you don’t know what it is, perhaps you are scratching your head a little. What the heck is this CHA everyone’s blathering about? Can I go?

Well my little Smurflings, yes! This year they’ve added a consumer event at the show in Anaheim. It’s the CHA SuperShow! I can’t attend because my amazing daughter is starring in the musical Annie, but you can! The Super Show is totally focused on consumers and you can purchase products at retail and do a bunch of really fun make it/take its. Most of the bigger craft companies will be there along with some of your favorite craft industry celebs. If you’re crafty and you live in the area, you really should check it out.

If you’re a craft industry professional and you join CHA as a professional member, you can attend the regular CHA Show. This show is for the trade only and it’s where the biggest art, craft and hobby companies debut their newest products and product lines to the industry. This is the stuff that hasn’t even hit the shelves yet. It’s a little like Willy Wonka’s candy factory, only it’s a potpourri of glitter, glue, papers, paint, wire, yarn, tools and beads from all over the world and there aren’t any Oompa Loompas! You can’t actually buy anything at this show, but you can see what’s coming. Think of it as Fashion Week for the craft industry.

I’ll be attending the regular CHA Show and I’m sharing my schedule today. I am so excited to be introducing my friend Brini Maxwell to the CHA Show and to be doing demos together for iLoveToCreate!  In between the appearances I’ve got meetings and of course, we’ll be walking the show floor to check out what’s new and exciting. I’m bringing my new camera, so hopefully I’ll get some pics this time. If you are attending, please stop by and say hello or consider taking my class:


Sunday January 24th
3-6pm Brini Maxwell and Margot Potter make it/take its at the iLoveToCreate Booth 2827


Monday January 25th
1-2pm FW Media Booth 4228 Signing and Demos for Beyond the Bead

3-4pm R and M Booth 4212 Signing and Demos for The Impatient Beader and Beyond the Bead

Tuesday January 26th
9-12 Brini Maxwell and Margot Potter make it/take its at the iLoveToCreate Booth 2827

1-2 FW Media Booth 4228 with Fernando DaSilva and Katie Hacker Signing and Demos for Bead and Wire Jewelry Exposed

4-6pm Crocheted Wire and Crystal Necklace for Beadalon Room W1203
I’ll teach you a knifty little trick for adding beads to crocheted wire using Beadalon Artistic Wire, Crystallized™-Swarovski Elements and the fab ProvoCraft ergonomic crochet hook  We'll create a simply striking necklace in the two hour class.


Design Copyright Margot Potter 2010 All Rights Reserved


The wild design above is one I created yesterday for a special designer CHA Global Crafts display. If you look closely, you’ll notice that I used the Dimensional Fabric Paint circles from yesterday’s post decoupaged with Collage Pauge on to vintage wooden poker chips and a plethora of ginormous vintage lucite beads, vintage plastic fruit pendants and faux pearl hearts. I’m giving you a sneak peek, there’s more to come for this design and after the show I’ll share the entire thing. This is totally over the top and I’ll be surprised if anyone actually purchases it, but I don’t really care. I made this for me. I get tired of having to pull back; sometimes I just want to take it to the extreme. Really I wish I could design a line of jewelry for Jean Paul Gaultier and take it to the extreme all of the time. Hee. I thought perhaps I’d lost my mind after I added the feathers last night, but when I woke up this morning and looked at this again, I fell madly in love. I actually may have lost my mind.  This is an Haute Couture style design based on a famous woman whom I greatly admire. These designs for me are like mini-narratives.  Can you guess what woman and what country this represents?

Until next time...craft on with your bad selves.


xoxo,
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment