Saturday, August 14, 2010

Saturday TastyLinks and The Joy of Travel

I had a horrid customer service experience at the airport yesterday. I ranted about it on Facebook and on my writing blog today. It was the first time in my life that I've ever become so upset that I yelled at a customer service person in public. What's fascinating to me is that two people who are both probably nice people, can be thrust into a situation where both of them walk away absolutely convinced that the other person is a total ass. Now, in this case, the other person really acted like a total ass, but she seemed to believe wholeheartedly that she was exposing me for being a liar and a cheat. So in her mind, she was the hero and I was the bad guy.

Who really was the bad guy? Well, the airline was the bad guy. They've set the customers up as enemies and made it impossible for everyone involved to not become frustrated. So can I blame the messenger, entirely, for their lack of concern about another customer whom they perceive as the enemy? No, not entirely.

Travel has become so fraught with stress, the airlines have pushed the customers so hard and the entire experience of having to pay fees for things that used to be included in our ticket charges has sent most of us to the dark side. We're tired of having to wait while people drag everything they own on the plane to avoid paying ridiculous baggage fees, of having to sit helplessly back as overbooked flights are delayed or canceled, deal with having things stolen from our bags by TSA, endure stripping off our clothing, taking off our shoes and being subjected to pat downs and public scrutiny in a manner that is so humiliating it's no wonder tempers flare and everyone involved from the customer to the customer service reps are all on edge.

So that's the way it goes, mostly I go into it trying to keep my sense of humor but yesterday I hit the wall...hard.

I'm back home and relaxing for a bit before I dive back into the fray. Congratulations to Deborah for winning a copy of Bead Chic! Please email me at margot@margotpotter.com so I can get your book out to you! Thank you to each and every one of you who left such thoughtful comments. I wish I could give you all a book, but I have to pay the mortgage!

Here are this week's craft links! Enjoy!

Stefanie Girard's Sweater Surgery
At Sweater Surgery there is a review of the new book: Jil Eaton's Knitting School.

Mixed Media Artist
Is it a whirli-gig or part of the solar system? Cyndi has been experimenting with needle felting.

Margot Potter The Impatient Crafter
Madge shares a second free project from her new book Bead Chic with another signed book giveaway!

Eileen - The Artful Crafter
Have you papier-mâchéd yet? Let Eileen tell you how.

Crafty Princess Diaries
Tag, you are it! Or, at least if you use your tags well on Etsy, it will go a long way in making your shop successful.

Craftside-A behind-the-scenes peek at a crafty world
This week at Craftside there is a polka dot wreath quilt block pattern, and a wild spin on the American Flag Quilt, a how-to on making a gelatin stamp print, a free bird card template download and more!

Cathie Filian
Whip up tattered rose with scrap fabrics, gems and hot glue. They are simple to make and perfect for embellishing!

Carmi's Art/Life World
Carmi uses another fab Plaid stencil for this newly embellished t-shirt!

About Family Crafts
It is time to get serious about Halloween costumes. These resources will help you decide what to be for Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment