Wednesday, October 27, 2010

EMOTIONAL TURMOIL CAUSED BY AMEN..................

27th,October,2010
 Wednesday
Dear Friends,
                   A beautiful rainy morning!Since yesterday night it's raining!It's so lovely to feel the raindrops on my face while plucking the flowers.So fresh and cool!Before plucking the flowers I seek permission of each and every plant.Nanda taught me this.:)Thus I talk to the flowers  and share my thoughts in the wee hours of the morning.
The   vote counting  is going on and celebrations have already started.The sound of the crackers and the happy announcements in the loudspeaker make the  city noisy again.
I went to the city for shopping.I am lost without Nanda.She is still in New York.The auto driver was so enthusiastic and started giving a lecture on the pros and corns of the leading party.I had to just respond,'ha,hu,yes,oh!'At home,Amma updates about the lead of various parties.
Last time I saw COSMOS closed but did not know it had  changed the location.I was desperate to visit.Today I saw the notice on the wall and found out the new place.COSMOS is one of the must -visit places for the book lovers, in Thrissur.The new place is so  spacious  with neatly arranged books on shelves.It is situated opposite Indian Coffee House in North Busstand,Paliyum Road.I love and I love to spend most of my time with books.Anything and everything suits me.But I must have something to read.While walking,eating,lying down,I need someting to read.Reading and music excite me.With music in the background,I am all in high spirits.Music stimulates my mind. It gives me positive energy.Amma always tells us,blessed are they who can sing.And amma's subject for professional course was music.When I reach Thrissur I never miss the songs in Malayalam aired by Aakashavani.It's so nice to listen to the melodies.
Nanda and me studied in a reputed Girls' Convent High School and later in the college run by the same  management.We were always friendly with nuns.We used to kneel down in the church before attending classes.Again for my professional course I studied in an institute run by Christians.There is a beautiful chapel attcahed to the institute.I know about retreats.And now I work in astate which is popular for the beautiful churches.:)
 Most of the teachers were nuns in our school.Amma's student and an ardent fan Rev.Sr.Modesta is our family friend.She never misses to greet us on  important days of celebrations.Even yesterday we talked to her.She is so pious,dedicated and a real good soul.
In the book shelf when I was browsing for the new arrivals,I saw this popular book-Amen-The Autobiography Of A Nun!The Author is Dr.Sister Jesme who left the Congregation Of Mother Of Carmelafter three decades of service.On 31st August.2008.Sr.Jesme left the Congregation.The authorities' repeated attempts to have her declared insane,she says left her no option.She was the Principal of St.Mary's college ,Thrissur,one of the best colleges of Kerala.I had read about her adventourous step of publishing such a book  last year.I admire her.And I am so happy to have the same book of my own now.Searing,sincere and sensitive ,Amen is a plea for a reformation of the Church and comes at a time of its growing concern about nuns and priests.But I never knew what was in store for me.
Sr.Jemi who is 52,lives alone in a flat in Calicut now.Her book alleges sexual abuse and homosexuality is very high in Catholic Church in Kerala.The Church tried to bribe her not to publish the book.One sister told she would sit in the chapel and recite rosaries so that all her books would be burnt away.But Sr.Jesmi finds a safe and strong Anchorage in Jesus.
Spirited and fun-loving,from agood family,deeply rooted in Catholicism,Jesme was drawn to religious life at seventeen after a Retreat at junior college.The best part I loved in this book is that moment-the moment Jesme realised she will be the bride of Jesus Christ-the divine call.
It's a beautiful experience.
The relation of Sr.Jesme and her Amma is very touching.
After reading Amen I don't feel comfortable;I can't accept the facts and faults.I am disturbed and confused.It is a brave and shocking account of life within the enclosure.
I don't want to mention the shocking experience Sr.Jesme had from a priest in Bangalore.It is disgusting and shocking.
From childhood Jesus is with us in our poojaroom.Only my parents can do such wonderful things.In an ancestoral tharavdu,noone can think of keeping the photo of JESUS along with Hindu Gods.We have Bible at home with Bhagavat Geetha.Our caretaker is a christian.My Ammamma built a house for his family near our tharavadu.He was allowed to build a house of his choice. There is a church in my village.The church bell tells us the time.We celebrate Christmas.Even now Amma has a rosary along with rudraksha mala  under her pillow.Rosary is a gift from Sr.Modesta.This is a special and cute rose rosary from Italy along with a pendenant of Pope.Sr.Modesta's nephew-Fr.Pius Chittilappilly has brought this sacred rosary.We are so grateful.Sister.We respect the holy rosary and it gives us mental strength.At my workplace my key chain has Jesus and Mary,again a gift from Sr.Modesta.When we go to meet her during Christmas,we go to the chapel and kneel down and pray.
      I love the beautifully decorated altar.I love confessions. I like the way my catholic friends get purified after confessions.
As Sr.Jesme hopes and prays,let the fresh breeze enter the closed walls and purify the stinking corners.
Sr.Jesme writes about the corruption,by way of donations for college seats;sexual relations between some priests and nuns;class distinctions whereby the chedathies or poorer  and less -educated sisters,did menial jobs and awide gap between comforts and facilities enjoyed by the priests and nuns.
The book affirms Jesme's unbroken spirit and faith in Jesus and the Church ,living like a nun,but outside the Four Walls of the convent.
This is a first of its kind in INDIA.Those who are interested may read..........
AMEN-THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A NUN..........
My friend agreed to give me her phone number.What should I say?
I don't know.
                                                                                                           It's Anu signing off.....................
Friends,
 Reading is a pleasant hobby.
Choose and suggest the must-read to the young generation.
It widens the outlook and gives knowledge.
 Books are always our best friends..........
 So develop interest in reading...
They represent the joy,sorrow and laughter
Right now I feel like reading out a passage for you...
From,'Walking the Path on Shri Shri by Frederique Lebelley
Reminding you Anu loves you dil se...........
      Wishing you a peaceful and lovely night,
                                             Sasneham,
                                                        Anu

No comments:

Post a Comment