Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sherry Starts First Grade


 





Today in sharing


Mommy's Piggy Tales,


I will be writing my story 

about being 6 years old
and starting the First Grade.















This is the Summer of 1963.

My very first two piece swim suit.

It was purple and lime green. I

absolutely adored it. Here Teddy

and I are in front of the apricot

tree out front.











We went on vacation the summer before
school started. 
Here we are at the
Continental Divide. 
I am the one standing
up by the sign. 
Daddy said to hop up there
so he could 
take our picture. I love the
expression on 
Moma's face as she is
watching me, because she was afraid
I was going to
 go over the cliff. I love 

the purse she is carrying, and I love 

her dress. Just so pretty Moma.













Here is Sherry before starting the

first grade. I loved this dress. It was

dark purple and turquoise and blue plaid.

I love the expression on my face, and

the excitement of school. I was about

to meet a new teacher, new friends,

and become and Adams Flying A.



Our school colors were red and white.

When we got to the school, we walked

to the first class of 4, nope Moma said

my name was not on the list. We walked

to the second, it was Mrs. Umble, and she

was to be my First Grade teacher, my
name was on the list taped to the door. 




I remember Moma giving me my sack of

supplies, everyone carried their supplies

in a paper sack, with our name on each

item. We went to Vater's School supply

and purchased all of the items that were

on the list for First Grade. I remember

big fat pencils were a must, 2 sharpened,

I had 1 red and 1 blue. A new box of
crayons, they too 
were the big fat kind,
one side was to be 
flat so the crayons did
not roll off of the 
desk, now I really thought
this was odd, 
they looked like crayons cut
in half. There was a little barrel of
 paste.

It was white, smelled wonderful, and oh

my gosh it had a little brush inside. I

could hardly wait to use it. I had 2 Big

Chief writing tablets, just waiting for me

to add letters and numbers to them.



Moma left me with a little kiss on the

cheek for reassurance that everything

would be okay. Mrs. Umble was very 

cheery, she was a large lady with a smile

that lit up the classroom. She wore bright red

lipstick. I liked it on her. Her shoes squeaked

when she walked. I thought it was funny.
She told us to come in and 
take any
seat for now. 




After the bell rang, and she promptly quieted
the little sounds, 
we could hear someone talking
from the loud 
speaker. First we were led
through the pledge 
of allegiance, having an older
brother and 
sister, I had spent many school
years learning 
it. And of course then we
were to be very 
solemn, as we said the Lords'
prayer. We 
then took our seats and
Mrs. Umble began 
what she called roll call.
She told us that as she 
called our name,
we were to call out here. 
She went through
all of the names, but 
I did not hear
Sherry Rogers. She asked me 
my name
and I of course told her. She said 
oh here
you are, but your name is NOT


Sherry Rogers. You are Sharon Rogers. I

argued for some time, she stopped me and

said for today I would be Sharon and to take

my seat. I was furious.

Wait until I got home, I was going to get


to the bottom of this with my Moma and
Daddy. When I got home, 
I was so mad,
I remember asking them why 
they had
lied to me, and why they called me


Sherry when that was not my name. Moma
and Daddy explained that Sharon was


my given name, but they had always called

me Sherry. The next day Moma promptly marched

me back into Mrs. Umbles' class and from that

day forward I was known as Sherry Rogers.












As you can see this was my class picture.

Feb. 13, 1964. Look through the photo

and see if you can figure out which one is 

me. I have kept this photo over the years.

I cherish it, as Moma and Daddy only

bought our first grade class photo. I can

tell you the name of every single one of

these students. At least half of them I went

all the way through High School with.













Next week, we are moving on to

second grade. I hope you are enjoying

this trip down memory lane with Sherry Rogers.
I am having so much fun sharing. 




As always, thank you for stopping by,

my little piece of heaven,

here in the desert,
that I so love 
to call home. 

Country hugs and much love,















post signature






























No comments:

Post a Comment