Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sherry Finds Art in Second Grade...


 






Today in sharing


Mommy's Piggy Tales,


I will be writing my story 

about Second Grade.












Starting Second Grade was the best. I had


Mrs. Gladys Hasbrook for my teacher. I loved


art class and spelling. I found out that I wrote


very well, and that I could actually draw. Mrs.


Hasbrook always smelled good, and she loved


sweaters. She always wore a sweater. I used


to wonder if she was cold. Now Mrs. Umble 

in first grade loved red lipstick and Mrs.

Hasbrook loved pink. (I thought all teachers

would be alike, so this was odd to me.) 



In the photo above I am holding the squirrel.
During art 
class the two best photos wore
chosen 
to display for the newspaper when
they 
came to Adams Flying A's to see what we
were working 
on in class that day.
Momma and Daddy 
were so proud. Momma
hurried down to the newspaper the very next
day to get the photo I still have in my
possession today.The boy beside me was


James, and he had red hair and freckles.
LaDonna was the little girl sitting beside


me. We went clear through High School

together.



Take notice of our supply boxes. Yes that 

is right a King Edward cigar box, and do

you see the little bottle of paste sitting

in there? Yep, the infamous paste that

we loved smelling.



The little jumper I have on, Momma made

for me. It was light blue, and I can see it

hanging in my closet as if it were only

yesterday. Memories are just the best.












The above photo is me at Christmas. We are at

Grandma and Grandpa's Christmas breakfast.

They bought me the little sewing machine I

am turning in the photo. I was so excited. I

just knew I could make clothes like Momma

did for me. Boy was I in for a BIG surprise.

All I got was poked a bunch of times. (I

find it so amazing, that our machines had

real needles, and even our irons that went

to our ironing boards really plugged in. We 

would never give that to our 7 and 8 year old

girls today.) Times sure have changed.



Again look at the curls. Now I have to tell

you I had to sleep on rollers for those curls,

and do any of you gals remember:

Dippity-Doo? Yep that always did the trick

for the curls. I wonder whatever happened

to Dippity Doo? I'll have to check into that.

Another post, yep another post.










The last photo I wanted to share was the Summer

after 2nd grade. We went to Colorado on vacation.

I am 2nd from the left, along with my sister and 2

brothers. Look at the mountains in the background.

We went to Pike's Peak, and I remember we had no

coats, and Daddy and Momma went to a general

store close by and bought us all jean jackets.



(Marydon Sweetie, you will notice this Sister did

not have a jacket on then either. You see I have

been hot blooded ALL my life. Some things just

never change. I would have had my thongs on

then too, but I am sure Daddy and Momma had

something to say about that back then.) We had

pedal pushers on. I loved them.



Another lovely memory that came to mind,

was that the cabins we stayed in, were close

to a highway, and I remember they had a big

picnic table out front of our cabin. Us kids

would sit on the table and every semi truck

that came by we would move our arms up 

down to see how many we could get to honk

their horns at us. We would just laugh and

laugh. Those were fun times, yes they were

good times. (And grown up now, I realize how

expensive those vacations were, and how 

hard Momma and Daddy had to work to pay

for those vacations.)



As always, thank you for stopping by

my little piece of heaven,

here in the desert,
that I so love to call home.


Country hugs and much love,











post signature












No comments:

Post a Comment