Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Melange Jewelry Project and The Big Move

Melange Copyright 2010 Margot Potter for Jewel School

This is a design I created for Jewel School this week I called 'Melange.' I am so in love with these vermeil links (items JLW1681, JLW1682, JLW1679), aren't they wicked cool? I think this is so chic and avant garde in it's simplicity. As many of you know, I am a big fan of simple and striking design that compliments the wearer without competing for attention. Less really is more and although I can err on occasion to the side of totally over the top, I do love clean lines. I randomly wrapped the links with 24 gauge German Style wire (JSWR521) and added paintbrush jasper (JLW945), turquoise coins (JLW1761A) and free form smoky quartz nuggets (JLW3156). The clasp was hand forged from 20 gauge brass Artistic wire (JSWR85C) which I bent and hammered to give it texture like the links. I'll have instructions on the JTV blog in the near future, stay tuned!

The pigs moved to their new home yesterday just up the road. They stayed inside of their little cottage for the move, it was much less traumatic than trying to wrangle them into a crate or the back of a station wagon. It's a lovely home with terrific folks who are so excited to have Amos and Daisy live with them. I went and said goodbye this morning and am still wiping the tears away. We've already relocated the chickens to my sister-in-law's farm, where they'll have 40 acres to explore. I have to keep reminding myself that pigs and chickens have no defense against predators and mountain lions, bobcats, black bears, coyotes and panthers would constantly be on the prowl if we moved them to Tennessee. Sometimes we have to do the difficult thing in order to do the right thing. We had a funeral to attend on Monday for Drew's uncle, which was terribly sad. He was far too young to die. Change is swirling around me and I'm doing my best to hold on to terra firma, even though I've been feeling a bit like I'm slipping here and there.

The house is mostly packed, just a few knick-knacks left to box up. We've already got an offer and it will be under contract this afternoon, which is just incredible in this market. We're hoping inspections go well so we can close quickly, the buyers are very motivated. Our agent was really surprised that this house was generating all of the interest in the office, but I'm not. This is a really special house and we have put a lot of love, blood, sweat and tears into making it better.

We leave on Saturday morning. It's all definitive and real and not theoretical anymore. I loved this little school house and our peaceful Amish valley and I'm going to miss it and my wonderful feathered and hoofed friends.

It's all been really hitting me hard and I'm trying to seize happy. I'm quite sure it's waiting for us in Tennessee. As is the case with the best things in life, it is all unfolding with absolute serendipity.

I'm going to be signing off here until we get set up in Tennessee. Until then...craft on with your bad selves!

xoxo
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment