Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Do You Think I Will Have To Wait Long?

As a child we spent many days and many nights praying to God to make it snow. Make it snow so much, that there would be a "Snow Day." A "Snow Day" of course meant NO SCHOOL!! Yipee skipee... We lived in Oklahoma, and I can remember mornings that we woke up and you couldn't even open the front door to the house, we were so snowed in.

All I could think(as a child), is what was I thinking, I wanted a NO SCHOOL Day, but we can't even get out. That's not what I prayed for. Moma said,"You have to be specific with God, you didn't say anything other than you wanted a Snow Day, so you got a Snow Day." (Note to Sherry: "Be specific when you pray for snow day.)

Our home faced the North, and when it snowed in Oklahoma, the wind would blow so hard it would whip that snow in huge drifts. So huge you were totally snowed in. I can remember how hard Daddy worked shoveling, to get the snow away from the door, and open a driveway that would allow us to get to the main road. (There were no snow plows, buddy you were on your own.)

One particular year, I can remember Daddy shoveled that snow almost all day long, clearing out the driveway, and clearing the snow totally in front of our house, and then all the way down to the main road, opening a roadway for us to drive on. He came in the house just a yelling and ramping and raving, saying a few words, that had Moma yelling, "Kids, cover your ears." The neighbor man down the road a ways from us, had waited for Daddy to shovel all the way to the main street, and then what did he do? He shoveled up in front of our house and connected, so that he could get out too, using the roadway that Daddy had spent the whole day shoveling out. He didn't come and help get the job done, he just waited for Daddy to do all the work. Oh my goodness was Daddy ever mad. Many times us kids have laughed about that still today. Believe me Daddy has not forgotten, and he still doesn't laugh about it.

I know snow isn't going to happen here in the valley, but I can dream about it. I know there are some places all over the country that are getting some snow today. If you are one of those lucky people, give me a shout out and let me know where the snow is a blowin. Let me feel the cold. Baby, it's cold outside!

As always, thank you for stopping by my little piece of heaven, here in the desert that I so love to call home. Country hugs and so much love,

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment