Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Yay! Yet more websites to surf Malaysia news

Here is the news:

- First there was Malaysiakini.
- Then Malaysia-Today.
- In between there were rockybru, jeffooi and their band of merry bloggers.
- Later there was NutGraph.
- Then MalaysianInsider.
- And MalaysianMirror.

And recently, thanks to nameless souls - since they never say anything about themselves on their websites - my work of monitoring and surfing Malaysian news have been added by:

- MalaysianDigest (About Us and Contact Us: coming soon! Bila nak launch oi).

- Malaysia-Instinct (You can email them if you want to put an ad. Why should I pay to unknown people? What if you are Aliens about to take over Malaya?)

- and even Newskini.

OKlah the last one is like ciplak news from other sources and blogs, ie automatic actions like Google News.
But it does help bored people like me to quickly find some news and gossip for Malaysia Darul Bakkuttehhalal.

In case anyone know who are behind Digest and Instinct, do tell me.
Or drop a mail. Curiosity kills this old cat.
And do tell me if there are more out there that I missed. I hasten to add one more that I know for sure cos sometimes the stuff they put online are in a grey area of distastefulness.


-------------------------------------------------------
New: SUPERBUSY IN MALAYSIA

And you know what - there are sooooooooooooooo many blogs in Malaysia compared to most other countries that I know (excluding America or European countries)!
In Singapore, bloggers are not as prolific as they are in Malaysia. And Singapore has the highest Internet penetration, too, in Southeast Asia.
There are many of them, sure, but no one seems to have the reach and influence of some of the Malaysian players like rockybru or chedet or Kit Siang.

When I was covering (from my desk in Singapore) Indonesian and Indian elections this year, heck, the correspondents in those countries told me there weren't any major influential blogs that one should read daily.
They said just read the websites of the newspapers or online news websites like Tempo, Detik, and the Kompas newspaper in Indonesia, and Times of India, Hindustan Times and DNA in India.
In those countries too, the politicians - mainstream or opposition - are not that hot online. Again, unlike in Malaysia. Not even in Thailand, Philippines, Pakistan.

You might say that those countries have lower Internet penetration and many many more poorer folks with no computers.
Well, true. But you would expect that the city folks, the educated classes and chattering middle class in the CAPITAL CITIES would be busy blogging away.
Jakarta, New Delhi, Bangkok, Manila, Islamabad. Yes there ARE bloggers in their native languages.
But what I am saying is that none of them are as big and much-read like those Across the Causeway from Temasek -- from kuda-kepang, to 3540 Jalan Sudin, ~penarik beca, to Sakmongkol.

Sooooooooooooooooo many Malaysian politicians, too, including PM Najib and isteri tercinta, have their own blogs.
If you ask me what are the blogs or websites of Singapore, Indonesian, Indian leaders, I must say that I don't know any, offhand. I would have to Google to find out!
PAP only recently sibuk masuk alam maya.

In Kay El, we have Kit, Anwar, a slew of PKR, DAP, Umno and PAS leaders spewing forth gems (and/or rubbish) from their blogs daily.
There are also popular news websites for the opposition such as Harakahdaily and Siasahdaily, and a popular pro-Umno one, AgendaDaily.com.

I guess to put it simply: Orang Malaysia banyak masa nak berborak, suka mengumpat dan banyak isu yang boleh dibincang (I am not excluding myself).
Hidup alam maya!

No comments:

Post a Comment