Friday, December 4, 2009

Pink Saturday - Childhood Memory


Happy Pink Saturday "Pinkies".




Pink Saturday is hosted by our lovely Ms. Beverly
@
How Sweet the Sound.
Click the link above to view her site with
a list of many other Pink Saturday participants.
Please take the time to go and visit all of the "Pinkies".






Today our lovely hostess Ms Beverly has asked us to share a childhood memory, so ladies you are about to enter the Christmas of 1965.


Moma and Daddy always said Santa would only come as long as we truly believed. We did not have a lot of money growing up. Moma and Daddy both worked, and for Christmas, you only got 1 toy.

In November, Moma always got a postcard in the mail. It was from Sears & Roebuck company instructing her to bring this post card to the catalogue department and she could pick up her copy of the 1965 Wish Book. Us kids were always more excited than Moma was. Off she would go to the department store with us kids in tow, to pick up the infamous wish book. It would take Moma at least a week to shop through the book. She would browse and write, and browse and write. Finally after about a week, she was ready to turn lose of that wonderful book we so desired a peak of.



We all layed in a row on the floor, turning the pages and writing on our tablets. In 1965, my heart's desire was a Mattel doll called Shrinking Violet. She had a string you pulled and she spoke several different phrases, one of them being, "I've got butterflies in my tummy." I love that one most of all. As you can see from the picture below Santa left that doll for me under the tree. She saw me through some pretty hard times as a child. She heard many of my most precious secrets, never to reveal a one of them, and always a true blue friend.


The picture below, I just took of her on my kitchen table. She still talks, her eyelids and lips still move as she talks, and she has 1 original ribbon left in her yellow yarn hair. Yes she is quite worn, but she is officially 44 years old. She still listens to my deepest secrets, and she still brings joy to my heart.

As an adult, I now know how hard my folks worked for that 1 toy that we each so desired at Christmas. This doll is the best Christmas I ever had, and each year at Christmas I get her down from her shelf in the closet just to remember the Christmas in 1965 when Santa brought me my heart's desire.



This picture below is me at Christmas in 1965.





Santa Claus remains alive as long as we allow him to. He is the spirit of giving. We are all Santa Claus at some time in our lives, and as we give of each other here in our blogs we each play this role. Santa Claus is alive if you only: BELIEVE.




As always, thank you for stopping by my little piece of heaven, here in the desert, that I so love to call home. Country hugs and much love,

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment