Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Design Inspiration

I am knocking on wood as I type this, which is quite a feat let me tell you.  People often ask me where I find my inspiration and the truth is, I am endlessly and constantly inspired.  Everything excites me to the point that I sometimes feel total sensory overload.  I thought I'd share a small glimpse into my design process and how it functions.  Here are two designs and inspiration images for a book proposal I presented a couple of years ago to two different publishers that wasn't accepted.  I think it's a brilliant concept, but perhaps it's just not right for the craft industry publishing focus.  Or maybe I'm totally delusional.

The jury is still out on that one!

I just put an 'inspiration board' up in my studio.  I'm going to fill it with whatever is spinning my design wheels at any moment.  I usually just let everything simmer in my head, but lately it feels a bit crowded. Consider this post as a virtual inspiration board.  I gathered up all of these images that were suddenly ringing bells in my brain and they inspired two designs. 

O'Keefe Poppies-this painting has been a favorite for years.  

Marimekko Uniko Poppy Fabric-I've been mad for their prints since I was a pre-teen

Warhol Poppy-I love this.  

This is my pop art poppy polymer clay set I created inspired by the images above.  This is intentionally streamlined and less of a literal translation.Copyright 2008 Margot Potter.  All Rights Reserved.

 Black and white detail photo of a white poppy.


Billie Holiday wearing her signature gardenias.

This White Poppy set has a far more dimensional and literal interpretation of the poppy motif.  I built this flower using Sculpey Ultra Light and painted it with acrylic paint and silver leafing pen. Copyright 2008 Margot Potter.  All Rights Reserved.


For me, design is an adventure.  I become obsessed with an idea and I have to make it real. How do you design?  Where do you find your inspiration?  I'm curious!

xoxo
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment