Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sunday A Day Of Rest, And A Day For Memories...


Sunday was always a special day when I was a young girl. After church, we all loaded up in the car, and off we would go to Grandma and Grandad's house for Sunday dinner. They lived in a small town in Oklahoma called Hennessey, and my folks did and still do live in Enid. It was about a 30 minute drive from where we lived. I remember laughing and trying to guess what model of car passed by. Ofcourse my brothers liked it when the Volkswagen's went by, they always hollered out slug bug, and slugged you in the arm. I was never quick enough to holler it out. It was a fun way to entertain ourselves on our little journey to our grandparents house.


When we pulled up at our grandparents' house it was another struggle for me. I remember they had a very long sidewalk, and there were flowers planted on both sides of the sidewalk, and the only way up to the porch was down or up the sidewalk. Grandma's flowers were so lovely, and ofcourse the bees thought so too. I remember running as fast as my little legs would take me, and yanking the door open and running inside. Grandma would say, "Landsakes child, whatever has gotten into you?" I would tell her the bees scared me and she would laugh and say, "Sherry if you don't bother them, they won't bother you." Well as a kid I didn't believe a word of that. I hated those bees then and I still hate them. No love lost there let me tell you.


After we got over the slug bugs and the bee thing it was finally dinner. Grandma made the best dinners. Her fried chicken was so crispy and juicy, her mashed potatoes were so wonderful and fluffy, there was always corn on the cob, and dinner rolls the size of a saucer, and that is no exaggeration. You could barely eat one. She even had chicken and dumplins so many times on the stove cooking. Lots of times there was a pot of fresh lima beans. I would stand with a tablespoon right there at the stove and dip from that pot. What a treasure that was for me. I loved her cooking, and everything she made was wonderful. Home made and wonderful. Like the coffee says, "Good to the very last drop."


Dessert was always the same. She made a yellow cake and wonderful fluffy white frosting with coconut sprinkled on top. That is where my love for coconut came from. Shhh! I'll tell you a secret, I remember the blue can of Baker's in the side door of the refrigerator, and I would pop that lid off when nobody was looking and steal a pinch or two. That coconut was so delicious. Grandma was the best cook ever, and every day of my life I think of her when I stand at the stove and cook. The love for baking that I have for pies, cakes, rolls, fried chicken, they were instilled by my Grandma, as she taught my Moma, who taught me. The only thing I never learned to do was make her jellies. She had the best.


Now this picture at the top of the post, the cows, Grandma and Grandad, had cattle out at the farm. I loved climbing in Grandad's BIG red truck and taking a ride with him. He would drive out there to the barn, load a bale or two of hay, and then off we would go to the fields. I can remember laughing as the cattle would see Grandad coming and they would follow the truck, down the road and right up to the ladder area where he would toss the hay to them, it was by the stock tank. I thought they were like Grandad's pets you know and I didn't know a cow could be a pet, but yes they were his pets and he fed and watered them, and took care of them. I remember Grandad had such strong, tanned by the sun hands, they were calloused and worn. He had farmer hands. I loved his hands when he hugged us kids. He played a game with us. He would say, "Let me count your ribs. If I can count all your ribs, and you don't laugh, you can have this 50 cent piece." Well, I don't have to tell you that was a lot of money back then. He would only get to (2) and I would burst out laughing. But you know what, I always got that 50 cent piece. What I wouldn't give today to have saved all those 50 cent pieces.


My Grandparents have both been gone now for 34 years. It seems like only yesterday. I keep them in my heart, and they are forever in my mind. We had such wonderful times with them, and they loved each and every one of us grandkids. There were 32 of us grandkids, and I don't remember how many greats there were by the time they passed, but our fondest memories were made there. Sundays are my days to remember them, and I have shared stories with my kids and grandkids to keep them alive in their hearts. I love you Grandma and Grandad. You are gone but NEVER forgotten.
All my love,

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment