Monday, March 8, 2010

Eye Can See You!


This past Saturday we went to Lens Crafters.  Avalon had to follow up on her school eye exam and I thought it might be wise for Drew and I to get our eyes checked.  So we all had the full work-up and I was thinking I'd be just fine and dandy.  My eyes are great thankyouverymuch. 

Insert screeching record needle here.

Uh, I have been living with an astigmatism in my right eye for years.  I had no idea.  I can't tell you the last time I had my eyes checked, it might have been when I was a kid.  My poor little left eye has been working overtime for a very long time and I feel kinda bad about that.  Sorry, little left eye.  What a trooper.  As for you, right eye, you might have said something.  Sheesh.

What's truly amazing is that I use my eyes every single day to do fine detail design work and to work on this here computer.  I can't believe I didn't realize there was a problem.  It is fascinating how our body compensates.  I wish that there was a compensation for my lung problems...but that's another story.  I think it's kind of like your car.  You don't realize your brakes are slowly going until one day you step on them and they don't work.  Yes, I have been there.  It was only this year that I started noticing myself having difficulty reading the fine print on medicine labels.  I just figured I was getting old.  I am getting old, but that's not the problem with my eyes!  Luckily my husband keeps our cars in tip top shape, because I am evidently the Queen of Denial.

What?  Glasses?  I'm afraid you're completely mistaken.  My eyes are fine.  Nothing wrong here. 

I have two brand new pairs of glasses, not sure I'm digging the frames but they're all so wickedly expensive.  Have you checked out the cost of frames?!  What a rip-off.  They make them in China, they're just metal and plastic and they're 170-500 bucks a pop.  Without the 200 dollar lenses.  Plus there was a family planted in the cool frame section for the entire hour and a half we were there that really wasn't happy about my intrusion, so they made it hard to test out all of the frames.  I had to get two pairs.  One for reading/work and one for distance (driving and regular life.)  I got the nicer Anne Klein cat's eye pair for the real world and the discount pair for my studio work.  I'm hoping to get some vintage Foster Grants fitted with prescription sunglasses.

Thankfully I have no cataracts or glaucoma, so that was good news. It was really cool seeing a computer image of the inside of my eye.  Seriously!  I can get contacts eventually, but I really don't like putting anything in my eyes.  We'll see if that changes once my Leonine vanity kicks in.  For now I figure most folks won't even see the glasses, because I surely will not be wearing them on TV or in my photo ops.  I've been given clearance from the optometrist.

How are your eyes treating you?  Maybe a little check-up is in order?

xoxo
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment