Monday, February 15, 2010

Obsession Confession

Margot's Collar
Avalon's Pink and Yellow Collar
Avalon's Tri-Color Hat/Collar

I'm a visual learner.  I can't concentrate on patterns, my brain starts to wander off and think of other things.  I can figure things out easily if I can see them dimensionally.  I first realized this when a teacher finally showed me that algebra wasn't just numbers floating in space, it's actually related to geometry.  Then the big light bulb in my head went off and I couldn't believe how easy math became.  For me, everything needs to have structure.  It's how I design.  I don't think in flat surfaces, I think in 3-d. 

In the winter it is always cold here in our little schoolhouse.  We have huge 6 foot windows and unless we board them shut, they disperse cold air.  I often wear hats and scarves at work.  The thing about scarves is that they can get in the way of my crafting efforts and they can be kind of bulky.  I love endless scarves, but most of them are kinda long.  I came up with the idea of a knitted collar and then I grabbed my trusty Knifty Knitter and went to work.  They needed something...crocheted flowers! 

I tried learning how to make the flowers using a book I have on needle arts, but it was not computing.  Then I watched some YouTube videos, but they all went so fast!  I found one on Threadbanger that I stopped frame by frame until I figured it out.

Avalon liked the collar I made so much she took the Knifty Knitter from me and made a bunch more!  I love her color sense!  The green and orange model is mine, the other two are Avalon's delightful creations with Mom's crocheted flower accents and vintage buttons.  This model is smaller than a real person, so these fit more like a collar than an off the shoulder scarf.  These are really fun to make and super snuggly to wear.  I think we're on to something here!

Two fun contests to announce!  If you order from iLoveToCreate they'll send a free bottle of Aleene's Tacky Glue with your order...in honor of Aleene's Birthday month!

The folks from When Creativity Knocks are in the midst of the Great Crafter's Tool Hunt 2!  Go see what the buzz is all about!

I'll be back tomorrow with a new project for iLoveToCreate.  Until next time...craft on with your bad selves.

Cheers,
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment