Saturday, February 13, 2010

Supersized Saturday TastyLinks!

Madge's Knifty Knitter Collar Project
Sad, Sad Little Crocheted Flowers

Is it just me, or is crochet kinda hard?  I can do a basic chain stitch, I can even make jewelry with that stitch...but I'm trying to make a crocheted flower and every tutorial written or video leaves me totally baffled. The videos all go too fast, I need you to slow    it    down.  Make the video in slow motion so I can see how you're connecting stitches to create petals.  Yes?  I feel like I need to drink about ten cups of coffee to keep up with these people!

Here's my thinking, the problem with most instructions is that the person writing them makes far too many assumptions about the skill level of the person attempting to learn.  I think when it comes to things like making a simple crocheted flower, the assumption must be that the person attempting to learn really doesn't understand basic crochet.  Am I wrong? Is it wrong to want patterns that are written for people who don't get the little shorthand?

Maybe I'm asking too much.

Have I ever mentioned that I'm impatient?

I spent a few hours working on a little Knifty Knitter collar that is really going to be super cute.  I love the Knifty Knitter because it makes even the knitting challenged like me feel as if we can accomplish something.  I've made lots of dorky elfin hats through the years...but I wanted to attempt something new.  I love the endless scarves that are out this season, but I wanted something a little smaller.  So far...so good.

I want to attach crocheted flowers so I'd end up with a sort of fiber jewelry collar.  I have butchered about ten flowers so far...mostly they look like yarntastrophes as you can see above (and these are the better efforts.)  I have watched about ten YouTube videos and consulted a variety of written instructions.  What in the hell do I do with the tail on both ends?  Why is this being kept secret?!  Is there a vast crochet conspiracy?

I am determined to make some freakin' fiber flower accents.  Martha showed this really cool flower making loom in Living recently and I'm going out in search of it today.  I will have a floral embellished fiber collar galdangy...as this blog is my witness...I WILL.

I am going to remember this as I create instructions for jewelry making...and remember if you need help with the basics you can always go to my YouTube channel and watch my Crafty Quickies videos.

(Thanks to the folks on Facebook who have already answered my pleas for what to do with the yarn tail!)

Big thanks to Jenny Barnett-Rohrs of Consumer Crafts for sharing my Sweetheart Foam Necklace tutorial on their blog.  Gotta love it!

Also a bloggy shout out to the folks from Art Glitter Institute who 'tweeted' my Foam Necklace link!  I am simply mad for their glitter.

Finally thanks to the folks from Craft Crave for the Linky Love to my I Heart U Valentine's Day Pin Card for iLoveToCreate.

Check out what's new at When Creativity Knocks!  They've gone HiDef and expanded their video offerings!  Plus they're having The Great Crafter's Tool Hunt Part 2!

And here's your weekly dose of crafty treats from the Crafty Bloggers Gang:

About Family Crafts
Need an easy, last-minute Valentine's Day gift or card? Sherri has some great ideas for you!

Aileen's Musings
Aileen's offering some whimsical freebie postcards for you to download and send to a friend!

Craftside-A behind-the-scenes peek at a crafty world
Craftside is in love with a free tattoo style Valentine graphic from the book Design Parts Sourcebook: Rock and Street Culture, a how-to on making a freeform monoprint, dresses folded from maps, and a lovebird puppet.

Crafty Princess Diaries
Tammy reviews a new craft book she received: The Perfect Handmade Bag by Clare Youngs.

Cross Stitch at About.com
Since Connie can't crochet, she decided to create some Cross Stitch Doilies simple enough for beginning stitchers.

Margot Potter The Impatient Crafter
Valentine's Day is looming and Madge shares a swell idea for a combo pin/card your teen can whip up for Mom or Grandmom. These would be cute anytime of year!

Mixed Media Artist
Cyndi's "question of the month" is what's your top ten list of mixed media art blogs to read regularly?

Stefanie Girard's Sweater Surgery
How to make a button covered headband with a recycled t-shirt inspired by a project from the book The Paper Bride by Esther K. Smith

The Artful Crafter
Do you dream of designing and making your own jewelry? Here are some tips from Eileen to help you get started.

The Crochet Dude
Drew offers up a great review on the new Debbie Stoller line of yarns "Stitch Nation".

No comments:

Post a Comment