Friday, February 19, 2010

There Is No Such Thing as a Free Lunch, Including This Blog

(Image Copyright 2008 Andrew Potter)

A friend of mine posted this week about the struggle they're having with blogging and copycats.  They're a particularly generous designer and they share their work on a regular basis.  Unfortunately that has resulted in a handful of people feeling entitled to reproduce that work and claim it as their own.  So it's one of those, how much is too much and at what point do you start to feel as if your willingness to be transparent and share your thoughts, ideas, projects and designs with others has crossed over into a reality where people feel it's all free for the taking?  My friend is seriously considering shutting down their blog.

What makes some people feel that sharing your ideas is a free ticket for them to take your ideas and do with them as they please?  I struggle with this myself.  I find people reproducing my work in magazines, on blogs, in product lines and in Etsy shops and they rarely give me credit.  I see projects that are derivative of my ideas constantly and there's no "Thanks Madge" for the inspiration anywhere to be found.  Maybe it got lost in the mail.  It's a simple courtesy, but I think it's important to always pay it both backwards and forwards.  If someone inspires you, have the generosity to admit it. 

I'm not here to give it all away.  The internet isn't a ginormous free for all and everything that is posted online or in books or magazines isn't intended to be co-opted by others.  The entire point of everything I do is to create a dialog and to inspire you to create it yourself.  I have no interest in seeing people make the exact same thing I've made and pass it off as their own.  Make it for yourself, but please don't take credit for or profit from my ideas.

That being said, I'm fully aware that I'm not reinventing the wheel here, people.  I don't think that wrapping some beads with wire or throwing some ink on a page and turning it into a dimensional paper flower makes me Picasso.  There are other artists in my industry with distinctive styles who are copied relentlessly and I consider them to be true artists.  Most of what I do is explore ideas and materials to discover new directions for creativity.  I like to think of myself as an explorer.  Yes, I'm an artist, but most of what I share here is about exploration.  I am here to inspire you to take the ideas and techniques I share here as prompts to explore those new directions further.  I'm handing you a compass and sending you off on a pathway, but it's up to you to traverse it.  Like my friend, I'm here to share my journey.  Not just free ideas and free projects, but the ongoing process of creating success.  I'm here to show you, gentle reader, that it is entirely possible to create your own uniquely wonderful journey and to do what you love, love what you do and enjoy every aspect of what it takes to make what you love into a career. The making of that career requires you to find your unique voice and forge your unique path, not copy someone else.

When I share a project with instructions, the intention is for you to make that for yourself or as a gift.  I am not giving you permission to resell that idea, which is why I have a Creative Commons copyright license on my blog sidebar that clearly states you may not copy my work or make derivative works for resale.  When a designer shares their ideas with you, they're giving you a gift.  It's a gift that should be treated with reverence and gratitude.  It's nice to hear an occasional, "Thank you" for the inspiration. It's hard to keep sharing if you feel like everyone is just there for the free stuff.  I hope that you're not all here for the free stuff.

I struggle to find a balance between sharing freely and keeping some things for myself.  I can't show my panties to everyone that asks.  There is far more happening in my world that you don't know than you do.  That is by design.  A gal has to have a few delicious secrets and delightful surprises.

I wish you the joy that comes from finding your own voice.  I hope that my little blog, my books, my videos and my ideas are inspiring you to take that journey.

xoxo,
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment