Monday, August 24, 2009

Back to the Grind

Image Copyright Christine Polomsky
I’m back from Cincy and ready to get back to the grind. You may wonder what goes on at a photo shoot for a craft book. I was in Cincinnati to shoot the step outs, which are pictures of the main steps in each project. This helps the reader see how to recreate the designs. I find reading instructions to be terribly tedious, but give me a few pictures and I’m all over it! We try to break it all down and decide which steps are best served by a photo. It’s really exacting and there’s a lot of reverse engineering and thinking around the box so we’re not stuck recreating each entire design from start to finish. I was exhausted by the end of every day!

Later they’ll shoot ‘beauty shots’ of the projects in the book which will hopefully help the reader see how fabulous they’d look wearing the designs. I’m really excited about this book because it has a different focus than my other titles. It’s also going to look really different because we’re adding an element to the mix that I think is going to make this book stand out.

I’m being intentionally vague...thusly building suspense and excitement over the next year until the book comes out. Ooooo...suspense. Yes...it’s not coming out until a year from now! Talk about a challenge! I have to think about where fashions might go so the book is current when it hits the shelves. Being a designer means working up to a year or more in advance, so you really have to stay tuned into emerging trends and hope your predictions turn out to be on the mark.

I’ll have some more pics to share later this week, but I’ve got a rather large straw pile that grew exponentially in my absence, as unattended straw piles are wont to do. Egads. Why can’t I sprout more arms? Is that asking so much from the universe?

Check back tomorrow for a brand new Teen craft project for
I Love to Create with an Haute Couture sensibility. Speaking of Haute Couture, big shout outs to Christopher Nejman for his lovely video tribute to our Glitterati UTEE YouTube video. If you’ve not explored his design work and you have even a slight inclination towards sewing...get thee to his website and quick!

Until next time...craft on with your bad selves.

xoxo,
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment