Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Epic Blog Post! Etsy, CHA and I Love to Create!

I'm still playing catch up, but I did manage to get a fair amount of product into my Etsy Shoppe yesterday. I had it filled last summer and then it slipped away from me with all of the other things I do on a daily basis. There are a lot of really great limited edition Vintage plastic beads and parts there and I've tried to price them competitively. This stuff is hard to find and it's really fabulous to use hugantic parts that weigh so little in your work. Especially if you, like me, love big and bold statement jewelry. I've got more to upload today and hope to add some newly hand crafted items just for the store as well. Taking pictures of the vintage clothing is challenging since I sold my dress form a few years back, but I'm working on it.

As for pricing...I simply can't price my goods at the cost of materials, though it seems a lot of folks on Etsy do that. Methinks if they started calculating their costs and the worth of their time, a lot of them would realize they're actually losing money. It also degrades the value of the other product on the site, which is unfortunate. Never undervalue the worth of your time and your creativity. You have to factor that in, or what is the point of making stuff to sell?! It's all about perception of value. We're building e-commerce for my website and when it's ready, I'll be selling directly to you and bypassing the crowded online craft bazaar sites. I used to own a bead shop and retail gallery and I have a keen eye for the unusual and the things that will be trending in the not so distant future. Trust me, I don't know why, but I just know.


Photo Courtesy Suze Weinberg

CHA was a whirlwind, as always. It's a lot of networking, smiling, glowing like a 100 watt light bulb and connecting with the right people at the right moments. You want to make a splash, but not get everyone else wet. What I mean by that is, it's a process and it takes time to build a brand. The craft industry is filled with designers and consultants who have been working for a long time to build their brands, make their connections and get work. It's important to be careful not to stomp on toes in your quest for success. It's a balance, because you do want to stand out and be noticed. Genuinely connecting with the people who've already paid their dues is a good way to get to the next step. You simply never know when someone is going to ask them for a recommendation and if they like you and they believe in your sincerity and talent...well you're more likely to get work than the person who is only out for themselves. Conversely, when you can, it's important to pay it forward. I'm a big believer in the power of 'we.'

That being said, these are desperate times. People are feeling it. I'm feeling it. Yes, like everyone, I'm scrambling to make connections to get work and pay the bills. That doesn't mean I'm going to be ruthless. I believe that true talent shines and work will go to those that have earned it. I also believe in the laws of Karma.

Summer CHA was once a different trade show that was entirely paper and scrapbook focused and it's still more than anything a paper crafting show. I found a couple of gems in my travels around the show floor. Check out Viva Decor and Twisteez Wire.

Avalon Honorary Peabody Hotel Duckmaster with Duckmaster Dave! Copyright Margot Potter

The two best things that happened in Orlando were watching my daughter fulfill her "lifelong dream" to see the Peabody Hotel ducks. I arranged for her to be Honorary Duck Master on Friday night and she was positively radiant. She spent the next day by the duck fountain trying to figure out how she could live at the hotel like Eloise at the Plaza! Then one of my best friends from High School (really we're more like sisters) happened to be staying an hour away, so she drove over and we met for dinner and drinks one night. She was even willing to sport a tiara! Yay Tam!

Madge and the gorgeous and brilliant Tamara Johansen sporting tiaras! Copyright Margot Potter

I've got some good news! The folks from I Love to Create have asked me to start doing weekly Kid/Teen projects, so that means every Tuesday here at The Impatient Crafter blog will have a free craft project you can do with or for Kids or Teens.

Phew. Epic! Until next time...craft on with your bad selves.

xoxo
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment