Friday, August 28, 2009

A Window into Madge's World

Madge waits, demurely, for her next adventure. Photo copyright Avalon Potter
Madge says, "Bring it on, baby." Photo Copyright Avalon Potter


Today, if you'll indulge me, I'd like to write. I'm running out of free projects to share...so I'm going to share some of what I do every day. I think there's immense value to folks who think they'd like to do what I do to see that...it's a lot harder than it looks...and it's much like being on a tightrope without a net...including the circus costumes if you're me.

I lost the part time job that pays a fair share of our bills recently and it's put immense amounts of pressure on me. I'm still 'employed', but I have to wait until a new position opens up. Since there are only a smattering of these positions, it could be a long wait. I'm not sure how long we can afford for me to wait...so in the interim I'm ramping up my efforts here at Studio Madge. If you're one of the many companies that reads my blog...please feel free to contact me to discuss possibilities. (She says without an ounce of shame.)

I've had a concept for a book series in mind for a while now and I've finally forged ahead with the proposal for the first title. I'm very excited to report that so far it's being met with excitement from the publisher. This would be a departure for me. Actually it would be less of a departure and more of an expansion or maybe it would be more aptly described as a tangential pathway. I can't clue you into what it's all about because I have to sell it first and then write it and then wait for the publishing date to approach so that I can finally spill the beans. I can say that it's bigger than a bread box and it's also bigger than my current focus. It's kinda like taking everything I've done in my lifetime and mixing it all up in a pot and saying...Stew's ready!

Yeah, it's like that. I think it's a mighty tasty stew, too.

I've also been working on scoring a TV show. I have some good folks working with me, so I'm confident it will happen eventually. It's tough right now because no one wants craft shows. The old model is broken, but we knew that already. No one wants to see the same host/guest/project format. It needs to be mixed up and given a new life. I don't really want to do just crafting...I want to be more of a Lifestyle Expert...but with a big twist. I'd like to think of myself as Julia Child with a glue gun or a slightly irregular Martha. I'm not afraid of showing the seams, making messes, being bold...and I want to inspire women to break out of their normal routine and try something outrageous. So...that's the plan. I'm getting closer. I know with absolute certainty that it's my destiny. It's what I do best and no one else is doing it like I would.

Speaking of Martha, I applied to be a guest on her show yesterday again. I don't have any formal 'in' so I just go to the website periodically and fill out the form. It's a total shot in the dark. What the hell. I think Martha and I would be funny together. We're totally different yet similar enough that I think we could find common ground. I really want to show Martha how to make jewelry properly. I keep seeing jewelry projects in her magazine and the instructions are...well...how do I put this delicately...incorrect. I know how much she likes doing things excellently and I'd love to show her how. So if you're connected to Martha and you read this blog, please don't hesitate to sing my praises. (She says without an ounce of shame.)

We are forging ahead with Beads and the City! Madge is taking you to NYC and we're going to bead shop until we drop! May 13-16th 2010. I will have info for signing up very soon. We can only bring 30 people, so the spaces will be limited. Also if you're interested in our Crafty Cabaret Cruise, please consider signing up. It's a small deposit and small monthly payments and you can elect to cancel up until three months before the ship sails and get a full refund. If you wait too long, we won't know how many people to plan for...

So my little Smurflings...along with the multitudes of other projects and deadlines I've got on my roster...you can see my work is cut out for me. My studio currently looks as if it's been attacked by a Tasmanian devil and I simply don't have time to stop and tidy it up. I've got largish rabbits to pull out of smallish hats and no time to stop and clean. Messes be damned...my muse is in the house!

Until next time...craft on with your bad selves.

xoxo
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment