Thursday, September 17, 2009

Blackbird Fly

(Design copyright Margot Potter 2009)


It's gloomy today so I only have this one photo to share from the four pieces I created yesterday for a manufacturer. I quite like this design, it's clean and simple with a touch of whimsy. The striped and filigree beads are vintage plastic from The Beadin' Path. The pendant is from Blue Moon Beads Manor House line. As much as I adore color, I've always loved the striking simplicity of a black and white palette.

Six years ago, I was at the end of my professional rope. I had already survived so much in my lifetime and to be there...in a space where I felt utterly stuck and totally isolated was a very tough place to be. I had a bunch of beads and wire, a kitchen table and a computer between my stove and refrigerator. After smacking my head on the rocks for a year...figuratively...I found my inner Zen master. I realized that within the things I had previously seen as flaws were the keys to my success. I realized that the only person who determined my worth was me. Then I reached deep down inside and I made it happen. I made this career.

I know that some people may think that I don't deserve to be here. They may think I'm not worthy. They're wrong. They don't see the bigger picture. They're just insecure people who act superior because they actually feel inferior and they don't want anyone to know. We are all worthy. We all deserve as much joy as we can create. Everything I've created came from giving myself permission to shine.

I spent a lot of years feeling sad. I did sad really well. I wore a lot of black. I sang sad songs. I wrote sad poems. I hung out with sad people. I mulled all of the bad things that had happened to me in lifetime over and over and over again.

Then one day, I got to the bottom of the sadness and I saw that it wasn't real. All of those years spent clinging to a mirage. I released my attachment to the illusion of sadness and I embraced joy.

You can do it too.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't. You can. You can do and be anything you can imagine. It starts with believing and it unfolds with daily effort. There will be sad days and there will be joyful days, keep on keeping on.

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly.
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see.
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free.

Blackbird fly,
Blackbird fly,
Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly.
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise" The Beatles


xoxo
Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment