Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, iPod Nano, Blackberry Curve

Being a gadget freak has a lot of disadvantages because one is always attracted to the latest toy, most times things that one doesn't really need.
I am using the Palm Centro (with Palm OS, not with stupid Windows OS) for my Malaysian mobile, and the Blackberry Curve 8900 for my Singapore mobile (linked to company's email account).
But there are temptations out there!


The Centro I am using is my third Palm in a row; I used the previous two Palm Treo versions. Treo started off the touchscreen fad long before Apple iPhone came onto the stage, but it was only popular with 'business' users, as compared to the mass market of youths. If you watched the series '24' or American spy movies you can sometimes see the Treo being used by the hero or villians.


Whereas the iPhone is for those who like to listen to music, it is impractical for people like me who need a proper (if tiny) keyboard to type stories on the go.
I had used the three Palm over the years to file stories while in Kedah and Perlis in the 2004 elections, and from Kelantan in the 2008 one.
And other stories from Johor to Penang.
There is nothing like using the Palm with a foldable keyboard in a mamak restoran if you want to stop traffic! See here - an old Treo mounted on a foldable k'board.

While others need to lug their laptops, I didn't and I don't.
I can and have typed stories while in cabs on the way back to a hotel which is like 2hours away from Kota Baru or Alor Setar. Or in the airplane without the bother of having to take out a big laptop.


In Singapore, I use the Blackberry so that I could be directly linked to my office email.
People asked why do you want to be instantly reachable to your bosses?
My answer is that every morning when I wake up, my first instinct is to reach for my 'berry and 5mins later I know what is happening at the office and around the world.
I know who or which bureau of The Straits Times has/have been praised or scolded by the bosses, what are the headlines around the world, and even what new gadgets have just been offered in the world of technology.
I feel at peace, because knowledge is power. Some say Ini kerja orang Gila.


- Anyway, Palm has a new mobile to replace the Treo. It is called Palm Pre (Palm OS and not the quirky Windows OS which I hate). Stupid name, I know.
This one is a curvy slider with tiny keyboard.
It is not in Singapore or Malaysia yet. Supposed to be introduced here next month.
But overnight, a new machine has been introduced. Palm Pixi. Another stupid name.
It looks a bit like the Blackberry Curve. See PICTURE.
It is a bit smaller than the Pre but without wi-fi.
Haiya. Metinks I will stick to the plan to buy the Pre.


- And Blackberry also has a new machine upgrade from the Curve 8900. It is the Curve 8520.
At least it is the same size from the 8900.
The Blackberry Bold is too big, and please do NOT buy Storm because it does not have any keyboard (like the iPhone, you have to use the electronic screen keyboard - susah nak pakai, cos we all have fat fingers).


- And overnight too (overnight in this part of the world), Steve Jobs introduced a new iPod Nano with video recording.
Up to you guys who want to pay high prices for stupid machines. But as some reviewer had already written, it is pretty difficult to record videos with a small Nano - how do you hold the bloody thing steady?


- While kids are so proud to play their music with iPhone and Nano, I have something that few people have. I play music from my 'berry using Sony Ericcson's bluetooth (ie wireless) headphones. All the music without the cords. Mahal nak mampos, but worth it.


- And now, I am looking for an Omron pedometer, after turning my back on a planned purchase of a Polar training monitor/pedometer cos it is too pricey.


- After that, maybe a bluetooth watch, and then maybe a drone missile. I did say at the start that being a gadget freak has its disadvantages, right?












No comments:

Post a Comment